Investing in a proprietary homebrew ecosystem?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A lot of ways to go here. Grainfather's are solid. If cost is an issue then I would look at the Anvil foundry or the Mash & Boil. I went with a wine fridge instead of a chest freezer to save my back (it is elevated so easy to lift in and simple drain out) and to have internal temp controls. I agree with Eric on fermentation being the most important. Good luck in your search.

Thanks, I think I’ve settled on that path, the final product may vary though. Anvil Foundry doesn’t seem to be available for a quite while, but I didn’t plan on making this purchase for a while anyway unless a great sale comes along. Virus affects it all :/

Anvil and Grainfather are my top two interests outside of BIAB, which I’d need to drop a fair chunk of change on anyway for a proper brew kettle. At that rate... who knows where I’ll end up.

What size / brand wine fridge?

Last edited:
I have a GE but you would need to research as many do not have enough space on the inside for buckets or other fermenters. I say wine fridge because the wine versions often have the temperature range 39-65f rather than just a "fridge" which is meant to be cold.

I have a GE but you would need to research as many do not have enough space on the inside for buckets or other fermenters. I say wine fridge because the wine versions often have the temperature range 39-65f rather than just a "fridge" which is meant to be cold.

I'd prefer a wine fridge with temp controls because a chest freezer with temp controls turns on and off constantly which I assume decreases the mean time between failures. I'll get what I can get though, locally.

No matter which freezer or refrigerator I owned I would still buy an Inkbird or similar temperature controller. Then you have total control of the temperature, the allowed temperature range, the delay to keep the unit from switching on and off too frequently plus you can also control a heater with the same accuracy. It is a major upgrade to the refrigerators built in thermostat with total control (for $35).

Right now my Inkbird is set to maintain 65 degrees and gives a digital display in tenths of a degree. The refrigerator will turn on at 66 degrees (set at 1 degree variation) but will only run the refrigerator every 10 min max to prevent cycling too frequent. I find that as the yeast heats up the fermenter slowly during the day, it seems to run the refrigerator for about 10 min about twice a day to maintain 65 degrees in my basement. It is also set to turn on my heater at 64 degrees if needed. I can then easily program in a diacetyl rest by raising the temperature for a few days if I choose.

Yeah, an Inkbird is not really optional for fermenting in a fridge or freezer. Not sure that point was clear before but it should be. Never use the temp controls on the appliance itself if you want any precision, not to mention the ability to mount a probe on the fermenter itself. And many fridges don't fit many fermenters. Always match the two with careful research.

I get some yellow jackets that buzz around in the summer, but fortunately never had any give me real trouble (other than occasionally fishing one out of the wort). But the frozen hoses thing, ugh, yeah that sucks. Pretty much halted my brewing from December to February. Plus cleaning up when that wind is whipping and it’s below freezing sucks. Don’t have any kind of sink in my garage so I’m standing outside with the hose like an idiot. Last week put in my order for an Anvil Foundry, and I’ll be excited for when it finally ships!

What made you go with the Anvil Foundry? Their units won't be in until May potentially, which is around when I'd be willing to order one since the price is not as bad as I had imagined. The Anvil Foundry and Mash and Boil are my two choices. The Mash and Boil with pump is on sale for $350 which seems like an excellent deal, plus I have $20 in rewards points...

Last edited:
A couple of things to note:

Anvil allows a 240V option for much faster heating. M&B is 110V only. It's gonna be slow.

Anvil temp controller is accurate to a degree or so. M&B has a 5 degree tolerance band (as a brewer of lagers and proponent of step mashes, that disqualifies it for me).

Check out the comparison chart on their own page. They waited a while to enter the market, and when they did, they tackled some of the weaknesses of competing systems.

A couple of things to note:

Anvil allows a 240V option for much faster heating. M&B is 110V only. It's gonna be slow.

Anvil temp controller is accurate to a degree or so. M&B has a 5 degree tolerance band (as a brewer of lagers and proponent of step mashes, that disqualifies it for me).

Check out the comparison chart on their own page. They waited a while to enter the market, and when they did, they tackled some of the weaknesses of competing systems.

Thanks for the reply. Looks like I'll be waiting, only problem is the 220V seems preferable. I see people either deal with slower brews or buy this sort of heating rod, which I'd rather not do. I don't recall any 220V outlets in our house besides in the hot laundry room. Are there solutions to that other than having an electrician modifying our existing circuits? The Anvil does look quite nice.

Edit : step-up transformer? After inquiring on our house's circuitry... I'm not too electrically savvy.

Last edited:
There aren't any hacks that I know about or which I'd accept as a homeowner (with a wife & kids to protect). So I had an electrician run a proper line to my work/brew room. Problem is, with larger batches you just need more power to have efficient heating. 110V is fine for 1-3 gallon batches, but for heating a lot more water it's tedious.

The Anvil at least has 110V standard, with the option to switch the plug and move up to 240V. Other units don't offer that flexibility.

There aren't any hacks that I know about or which I'd accept as a homeowner (with a wife & kids to protect). So I had an electrician run a proper line to my work/brew room. Problem is, with larger batches you just need more power to have efficient heating. 110V is fine for 1-3 gallon batches, but for heating a lot more water it's tedious.

The Anvil at least has 110V standard, with the option to switch the plug and move up to 240V. Other units don't offer that flexibility.

Yes that's true, I see it's switchable. Worst case I just brew in the laundry room. I don't necessarily want to brew in my room anyway with my synth equipment in there. Guess I'll have to figure it out before they get back in stock which affords me some time :)

This looks like a pretty good option if you are willing to spend $1k to make wort. Can do 10gal batches which I don't see as capability of other systems. Also looks pretty simple to operate and break down for cleaning. I mash (and then fly sparge) batches with 25-35 pounds of grain in same kettle he is using so don't doubt the claimed numbers on target gravity. This is double the max grain bill you can get from the all in ones mentioned above.

https://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Wort-Hog-5-10-Gallon-BIAB-240V-269p3987.htm

This looks like a pretty good option if you are willing to spend $1k to make wort. Can do 10gal batches which I don't see as capability of other systems. Also looks pretty simple to operate and break down for cleaning. I mash (and then fly sparge) batches with 25-35 pounds of grain in same kettle he is using so don't doubt the claimed numbers on target gravity. This is double the max grain bill you can get from the all in ones mentioned above.

https://www.highgravitybrew.com/store/pc/Wort-Hog-5-10-Gallon-BIAB-240V-269p3987.htm

EBIAB looks pretty neat, Clawhammer was the first one I found. The only issue is the voltage and having to almost keep the lid on entirely during boil. I imagine it's not about letting steam out that we keep the lid off, but to not let condensation drip back in. That one looks to solve that problem though.

I really like the Anvil Foundry and it's likely the thing I'll splurge for when I want to/it's available.

What made you go with the Anvil Foundry? Their units won't be in until May potentially, which is around when I'd be willing to order one since the price is not as bad as I had imagined. The Anvil Foundry and Mash and Boil are my two choices. The Mash and Boil with pump is on sale for $350 which seems like an excellent deal, plus I have $20 in rewards points...

Basically everyone noted why I’d go with the Anvil already. I also talked to the guys from Anvil at the last HomebrewCon and they kind of won me over. It just seemed the best option that fit within my budget.

Waiting a month or two to get it was the only thing that did make me waffle a bit, but I’ve got enough propane left for a couple more batches anyway so I’m not in a huge hurry.

I’m going to sadly be running it off 120 for awhile as that’s all I’ve got, and doing anything with the electrical in this house is sadly not within the budget for the foreseeable future. But hey, the slower times don’t bother me any. As I said in another thread, brewing is the time I get to hangout in my garage, futz around, and have a little quiet from the kids for a bit.

Basically everyone noted why I’d go with the Anvil already. I also talked to the guys from Anvil at the last HomebrewCon and they kind of won me over. It just seemed the best option that fit within my budget.

Waiting a month or two to get it was the only thing that did make me waffle a bit, but I’ve got enough propane left for a couple more batches anyway so I’m not in a huge hurry.

I’m going to sadly be running it off 120 for awhile as that’s all I’ve got, and doing anything with the electrical in this house is sadly not within the budget for the foreseeable future. But hey, the slower times don’t bother me any. As I said in another thread, brewing is the time I get to hangout in my garage, futz around, and have a little quiet from the kids for a bit.

Yes that's no worry for me either. It's something I'd like to get fixed in the future but as long as 120V makes beer without causing any negatives outside of time spent (which isn't really a negative) I'm fine using it. homebrewing.org was my first site and also the one that sells StirStarters (which I like for their simplicity and lifetime warranty). It's my go-to but I've ordered a little from Northern Brewer. Anvil was the one that always caught my eye on that site, even moreso than the Grainfather but I didn't know too much at the time. Still, the Anvil is a very sleek looking system. Congrats.

I have one extract left and my first two brews will be drinkable in about one week. Then I will be on the perpetual path of planning my beer drinking around my beer brewing and vice versa!~

After further consideration, I've determined that a propane-based BIAB is my route. It's a middle ground, between extract and all-grain, and will not be reliant on electricity. I'd actually love to brew outside since 90% of extract brewing has been in the house for me and it can be messy at times. It'd be nice to not care.

Is it reasonable to do 5 gallon BIAB batches? I take it I'll need a hoist of some sort?

After further consideration, I've determined that a propane-based BIAB is my route. It's a middle ground, between extract and all-grain, and will not be reliant on electricity. I'd actually love to brew outside since 90% of extract brewing has been in the house for me and it can be messy at times. It'd be nice to not care.

Is it reasonable to do 5 gallon BIAB batches? I take it I'll need a hoist of some sort?
Lots of people do 5 gallon BIAB. Plan on at least a 10 gallon kettle to do full volume, no sparge, 5 gallon batches; a 15 gallon kettle would be better if you have any plans to do high gravity batches.

@wilserbrewer, one of the sponsors of this board, makes brewing bags and offers a small rope hoist with a locking mechanism. There are quite a few satisfied customers here.

I have the opportunity to brew in a second location a few times a year, where space for brewing, storing, and serving is limited. I do 2.5 gallon BIAB there. I use an 8 gallon turkey fryer and don’t bother with a hoist because the wet bag probably doesn’t weigh more than 10 lbs. I have a stainless steel colander which fits across the top of my kettle so I don’t need any other means of support while draining the bag.

BIAB is probably the easiest and least expensive way to get onto all grain brewing and the required equipment can be used later if a change of method is desired. I think you’ll be happy with your choice.

Brewing in a bag is a method of all grain brewing, full stop. It's not a middle ground on the way to anything. It stands on its own. Good luck! Sounds like fun.

Game plan changes daily, but I'm not in a rush. The only thing I could rush is drinking these brews that still need a week bottle conditioning...

Right now, I think I'd like to invest in a high quality brew kettle and fermentation chamber since they take the most abuse, I'm also thinking Spike. Then I could just BIAB in my large Spike kettle using some of the Wilser bags :) That would reduce the amount of accessories I need to get a clean beer.

Should I want to expand to traditional all-grain brewing I could just grab some of those Coleman Extreme coolers and do the CPVC or copper tubing manifold...

Opinions?

Last edited:
Game plan changes daily, but I'm not in a rush. The only thing I could rush is drinking these brews that still need a week bottle conditioning...

Right now, I think I'd like to invest in a high quality brew kettle and fermentation chamber since they take the most abuse, I'm also thinking Spike. Then I could just BIAB in my large Spike kettle using some of the Wilser bags :) That would reduce the amount of accessories I need to get a clean beer.

Should I want to expand to traditional all-grain brewing I could just grab some of those Coleman Extreme coolers and do the CPVC or copper tubing manifold...

Opinions?

Seems a sensible route to me. While I’ve never done the brew in a bag, lots of people swear by it, and I’ve had plenty of good beers brewed by folks who use that method. It’s not the equipment, but the brewer! But anyway, going that route leaves you plenty of options and allows for future expansion.

Opinions?

Once more, for effect-BIAB is all grain brewing. It’s been around long enough, and is in sufficiently widespread use, to be considered “traditional”.

Any process which involves converting the starches in malted grain into fermentable sugars, and using the resulting wort to produce beer, is an all grain process, regardless of the assortment of pots, kettles, coolers, pumps or plumbing involved.

Once more, for effect-BIAB is all grain brewing. It’s been around long enough, and is in sufficiently widespread use, to be considered “traditional”.

Any process which involves converting the starches in malted grain into fermentable sugars, and using the resulting wort to produce beer, is an all grain process, regardless of the assortment of pots, kettles, coolers, pumps or plumbing involved.

Ok then, stigma removed. I am too new to have personally developed stigmas, I have just gone off of the trends I've read online. Perhaps I've stumbled across those older forum posts on the internet that stigmatized it during my research and wanted to say it's not "all-grain", but I am all for ingenuity, which BIAB provides quite well. Maybe we should just call it "grains in a bag" since, well that's literally what it is and might remove any stigmas new people notice when getting into the hobby :)

Thanks for solidifying my path though... A really nice and durable kettle coupled with a nice bag will be a killer setup for me.

I’m a dedicated 3 vessel brewer but I agree with others on this thread...BIAB is an end game not step to something else. Issue with BIAB is you need one big kettle vs multiple smaller vessels. Because you won’t be adding future kettles I really think it makes sense to start with minimum 15 gallon. This will let you do high or low gravity brews in 5 gallon batches and if you get creative maybe mid gravity 10 gallon batches. If you want some bling I’d absolutely recommend Spike. I have their 20 gallon kettle and LOVE it. If you are more utilitarian I’ve got both Spike and Bayou Classic kettles and both work great. I’if money is an issue I’d steer you in direction of the larger kettle from lower quality brand (like Bayou Classic). Even a reallycrappy stainless kettle is going to be good for 100s of batches while a too small kettle will be constant PITA.

I’m a dedicated 3 vessel brewer but I agree with others on this thread...BIAB is an end game not step to something else. Issue with BIAB is you need one big kettle vs multiple smaller vessels. Because you won’t be adding future kettles I really think it makes sense to start with minimum 15 gallon. This will let you do high or low gravity brews in 5 gallon batches and if you get creative maybe mid gravity 10 gallon batches. If you want some bling I’d absolutely recommend Spike. I have their 20 gallon kettle and LOVE it. If you are more utilitarian I’ve got both Spike and Bayou Classic kettles and both work great. I’if money is an issue I’d steer you in direction of the larger kettle from lower quality brand (like Bayou Classic). Even a reallycrappy stainless kettle is going to be good for 100s of batches while a too small kettle will be constant PITA.

I'm going with the 20 gallon Spike!... It'll be the perfect size that I can expand upon in the future if I need to. The 20 gallon is only marginally more expensive than the 15 gallon. It's also likely I'm going to grab the Spike Conical... I'll use it as my "perfect beer" fermenter, and ferment other beers if I want in my typical fermentation buckets. I like that I can temp control with the TC-100 and drink straight from the conical :)

I'm going with the 20 gallon Spike!... It'll be the perfect size that I can expand upon in the future if I need to. The 20 gallon is only marginally more expensive than the 15 gallon. It's also likely I'm going to grab the Spike Conical... I'll use it as my "perfect beer" fermenter, and ferment other beers if I want in my typical fermentation buckets. I like that I can temp control with the TC-100 and drink straight from the conical :)

Haha that escalated quickly....

Back