Invest in kegs or carboys?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

big_dog32

Reaction score
Hello fellow homebrewers! I’m getting back into brewing after a few year hiatus and have a problem. I’m going back into the hobby full swing because I still have all the knowledge that I had before, the problem is that I gave all my equipment to a buddy when I stopped brewing a few years back.
I have a few buckets so far, but it’s time to start putting some of my ferments into secondary. I like brewing beer but wine and ciders are simplest and take less time and equipment so I usually do those. If I was doing things that were ready quick then I would choose to invest in kegs next, no question, but the ciders and wines take a while to age. The problem is that I know I’ll want to keg and carb and have mostly sparkling ciders and wines. Kegs would also take away the cost and time of bottling.
So the question is should I go the keg route and get 4 kegs after my next paycheck, and do all my primary and secondary’s in buckets. Then I would keg and carb the ciders and wines and let them age there.
OR should I forget kegs for a couple months and invest in carboys to age in, then get kegs later on.
What do you all think?

Kegs are a lot more expensive than carboys. I'd be inclined to tie up a cheaper carboy for the aging stuff, and use the kegs to avoid bottling. I don't think it is an either/or - two carboys and two kegs will get you the same outcome over the next few months, and quite a bit cheaper.

Hello fellow homebrewers! I’m getting back into brewing after a few year hiatus and have a problem. I’m going back into the hobby full swing because I still have all the knowledge that I had before, the problem is that I gave all my equipment to a buddy when I stopped brewing a few years back.
I have a few buckets so far, but it’s time to start putting some of my ferments into secondary. I like brewing beer but wine and ciders are simplest and take less time and equipment so I usually do those. If I was doing things that were ready quick then I would choose to invest in kegs next, no question, but the ciders and wines take a while to age. The problem is that I know I’ll want to keg and carb and have mostly sparkling ciders and wines. Kegs would also take away the cost and time of bottling.
So the question is should I go the keg route and get 4 kegs after my next paycheck, and do all my primary and secondary’s in buckets. Then I would keg and carb the ciders and wines and let them age there.
OR should I forget kegs for a couple months and invest in carboys to age in, then get kegs later on.
What do you all think?
I have 3 Speidel fermentors....love em...no siphoning...easy to move...fit in fridge for cold crashing! Next step 4 me is getting kegs et al.

Doesn't exactly answer your question though...

Cheers [emoji111]

0317181011.jpeg

Thank you both for the advice! I have some plastic buckets for fermentation, so I think I’m gonna go with the kegs. Any further advice is appreciated though!

Here’s a great HBT thread on fermenting in cornies. I haven’t actually put a batch through one yet, but I’ve got all the bits and pieces to do it. Next batch for sure. Spunding valves are really easy to make!

I vote for the kegs. I've never liked the carboys too small of opening always fear of glass mixed with fluid flying everywhere, I can be real rough with my kegs and don't think twice. I just started making bigger batches so I can fill my conical and a keg to test out different yeast and I really like fermenting in a keg. It's so easy you just get a smaller batch, and the opening is bigger than a carboy so some people can fit their arm in to clean.

Here’s a great HBT thread on fermenting in cornies. I haven’t actually put a batch through one yet, but I’ve got all the bits and pieces to do it. Next batch for sure. Spunding valves are really easy to make!

That is a great thread. Guy who wrote it really knew what he was doing!

...always fear of glass mixed with fluid flying everywhere...conical, the opening is bigger than a carboy so some people can fit their arm in to clean.

I've been using carboys since 1994. I have about 20 of them. Never cracked or broke one yet. ;)

Conical openings must be pretty large...I can't even get my forearm in a keg opening.

Ferment in bucket, age in carboy, carb. in keg, then bottle or fill growlers.

Fermenting in corny kegs is fantastic. Used kegs are cheaper than glass carboys. Cut an inch off the diptube and go to town. Using CO2 to transfer is a breeze and reduces chances of oxidization. I mostly use kegs for secondary, since headspace is small.

Only 2 things i can complain about fermenting in corny's:

1. You don't get a full 5G. Batch sizes need to become either about 90% and 135% (if your MLT and BK can accomodate)
2. Cleaning corny kegs is a pain due to all the crevices.

@Jaybird has made these an official product though, and makes corny fermenting a more pleasurable experience as well.

Back