Introductions

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lesirish

Reaction score
Hi there, I’m a farmer from Scio Oregon and love beer. I am a brewer wanna be and am currently learning about growing malting barley. Hope to get advice on the best type to grow. Cheers!

That's very cool. Welcome to HBT!

Wish I could help. I think it's a good idea to brew with commercial grain for a while until you get the hang of brewing.

Only a couple people here malt grain themselves. It sounds difficult or impossible to match commercial quality and variety.

Only a couple people here malt grain themselves.

and here i thought i was the only one!

Welcome from S.AZ!

(malting takes time, but is actually pretty easy to do. I use a bathtub and skip all the complicated stuff...and i can help you mod your oven to go low enough for kilning, kilning is critical, otherwise it tastes like :goat:...but i know nothing of growing barley (you're not trying to out do me are you :D))

Thanks for the great input. We will definitely be growing barley real soon as we have some organic acres that can be used for just that purpose. We are pretty close to Great Weastern Malting so we may just have them process it for us and sell our excess to local brewers.

good luck! i couldn't even get the (old)local brewery to sell me malt....brewpub was accommodating though.

(how much would you charge ME for a bag? or 4-5 bags, freight shipping?)
good luck! i couldn't even get the (old)local brewery to sell me malt....brewpub was accommodating though.

(how much would you charge ME for a bag? or 4-5 bags, freight shipping?)
Stayed tuned. We have a journey ahead to figure out the barley growing venture.

Welcome, my brother in law lives in Millersburg. Definitely a lot of farming and grass around there. I live near Moro where it’s all wheat, wheat trucks everywhere this last month and piles sitting around the grain elevators.

Back