Intertap faucets driving me nuts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ashopis

Reaction score
Hey there. I bought 3 intertap faucets in 2018, and they’ve been leaking on and off ever since I installed them.

The folks at keg king told me to check the gasket. I’ve checked and replaced them. Still, I have the leak (see video)

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Cheers!

Maybe there is an issue with your tightening process? Is the shank spinning around on the other side? Do you have the specialty wrench that goes in the holes? Looks like you might be using channel locks.

Yeah that seems like the faucet isn't tightened properly to the shank. There's no gasket that connects the two.

There are articles about your problem if you do some google searches. It seems that not all shanks are compatible with all faucets. If you’ve verified that the body gaskets are in good condition, there has to be a problem with the fitment of the two parts. The connector nut doesn’t need to be Hercules tight to make that joint seal.

There's no gasket that connects the two.
Body gasket

ETA: I have 3 Intertap faucets in service and have never had a leak at that connection, and I don’t have the special spanner wrench to tighten it either.

Last edited:
Hey gang. Thanks for the replies. I do have that special wrench and have tried every manner of tightening. I had a suspicion about the shanks. I think I will order one new one to test it out. Can anyone recommend a shank that is definitely compatible with the intertap?
Thanks again. Cheers.

@ashopis
That's clearly not right, I have 3 intertaps and 2 Nukataps and they are touch wood trouble free.
Maybe there is a problem with the shank that they are screwed onto?
Can you send a picture of the end of one of the shanks and also the view into your intertap from the end it connects to. Mine are only just beyond hand tight, might be worth removing one tap and shank and testing adjustments using water in a pressure sprayer rather than beer.
Puzzling. Or a spare keg with water in and some pressure.

There are articles about your problem if you do some google searches. It seems that not all shanks are compatible with all faucets. If you’ve verified that the body gaskets are in good condition, there has to be a problem with the fitment of the two parts. The connector nut doesn’t need to be Hercules tight to make that joint seal.

Body gasket

ETA: I have 3 Intertap faucets in service and have never had a leak at that connection, and I don’t have the special spanner wrench to tighten it either.
Interesting. I guess I've never noticed that. It's certainly not something that comes free when I remove my faucets. That's probably why I never noticed.

I've got four short ones that I got from Ritebrew that I think are "Krome Dispense" (item # was 843420) and 2 are American Beverage from Rapids wholesaler. All are stainless steel.

Slightly off topic...but my older Tap Rite faucets never leak. Never. Not one time. But my newer Perlick faucets will (and do) leak at times.

After a pour, there will be a slow drip...drip...drip. The tap handle has to be pushed back forcefully into the fully closed position.

Regular cleaning seems to be the best solution in preventing constant dripping.

Now that the video has been viewed, looks like a simple and easy fix. When this has happened to me, just tightening it solved the problem.

I've mixed and matched all sorts of faucets and shanks...never any issues. strange.

Bad gasket? over/under tight?

Back