Interesting results with unintentional fermentability experiment

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewMan13

Whole Nother Level Brewing
Reaction score
I don't think I've ever actually started a thread here, but I thought this would be a story worth sharing - and this seems like the most appropriate forum for it.
So, I plan out my brews well in advance, and I ramp up production in the fall since it's not easy/practical for me to brew in the winter. Anyway, I was at my local brewery one day last November on a weekend I was already planning to brew, when he says he's doing a batch that always yields more than he has space to ferment, so he'll gladly fill a carboy for me (a perk for being a regular I guess!) I had a days warning, so since I already had a starter going, I stepped it up to be able to pitch a reasonable amount in both beers (wyeast 1007 German ale). As coincidence would have it, both worts ended up starting at the exact same OG: 1.063. He mentioned he used a good amount of yeast nutrient, so it should ferment well. And his definitely started/finished faster and more actively fermented. But the kicker for me was in the results: both of these beers with the same OG, fermented with the same amount of the same type of yeast, at the same temp in the same room, and my wort finished at 1.018; the wort from him finished at 1.006! He used S04 at his brewery and got a similar FG. It was mid 50's where my carboys were, and I don't know his exact temp, but I know he always likes to ferment on the cool side regularly anyway. Also, I mashed at 152-154, and not sure what he did. Regardless, I was amazed by the difference in the FG. While I'm not concerned with my process, and there were surely other factors at play, I will definitely use nutrient going forward. Also goes to show you can't judge a yeast on just one data point.
Cheers! :mug:

Latest posts

Back