Interesting new email attachement scam

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dland

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
We probably all know not to open unknown attachments. I recently got one that was "thank you for your purchase, here is your receipt" variety. Pretty darn insidious.

I opened it, since I have made some recent purchases for business. It was for $559, some sort of gaming service, a picture of playing cards. I immediately closed it, and noted instructions that if was not a purchase I'd made, to enter invoice # on their site. Suspicious, instead of following their instructions I checked activity in accounts that could have been accessed. No such charge was made, which confirms, I think, it is some kind of malware, phishing scam or something.

I have pretty good protection on my computers, so I'll run a scan on that one next time I'm at it. (don't worry, am on different computer now).

Anyway, that's a new one to me, has this happened to anyone else?

I think I got something like that that claimed it was from Target a while back. There was something similar claiming to be from Apple last year I think that got a bunch of folks.

Isn't this how that host of Shark Tank got scammed out of $400k?

Yeah, her bookkeeper fell for a phishing scam and tried to wire the money to a bank in China. Fortunately her bank was suspicious and froze the transfer.

I suspect a bookkeeper is going to be sent off to an online security re-education camp shortly.

Latest posts

Back