Interesting Coffee Porter method

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Interesting. I'll have to try that next time. I added 0.75lb to the secondary and it turned out syrupy and overpowering. Next go around I might try their method.

I like to added cold brewed coffee to the keg. I feel that works pretty well. They didn't list anything like that in their list of methods that "fall short". From what I understand, most commercial coffee beers are made with cold brewed coffee.

I cold brewed my coffee and added it to my secondary with 2 vanilla beans for a week after a 2 week fermentation and it turned out fantastic.

I've done that before with the BYO FBS recipe which calls for adding coffee at flameout, but the coffee purists said you shouldn't boil the coffee. The ideal coffee extraction temperature is reportedly 195-205F, so I chilled the wort to 205F, which is about 10 seconds with my immersion chiller and then stopped chilling and did a "coffee stand" for 10ish minutes. It worked well, but I don't think there was a difference between that batch and the one where I tossed it in a flameout.

How much coffee/cold brew did you guys end up using? That way s another method I've heard works well. Thanks for confirming that.

For a 4 gallon batch, I brew a pretty strong batch in a 16oz French press. Maybe 3 or 4 ounces of coffee beans? I haven't measured, but it's about twice as much as I'd used to make 4 cups of coffee in a regular maker.

We've made 4 different Coffee porters and added coffee in several diff ways, but my favorite so far, that seems to have imparted the most flavor, is to just grind up the beans and throw in at end of boil. The brewmaster hated this because some grounds stuck around in secondary, and clogged his keg hoses, but I bottle so Im unconcerned about such things.

The other method we did was grind up beans, soak in vodka for days, then strain thru coffee filter into primary. Never tried actually brewing it separately and adding liquid to batch. Anyone who has tried both ways, how would the flavor it imparts differ than what we did?

Back