Intense fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Weizer

Reaction score
So I recently brewed a recipe for a saison that has proved to be a keeper. I decided to change the yeast up. I pitched a sizeable starter of WLP670 and it swirled and had 2-3 seconds in between bubbles on the airlock for 6 days straight.

I've brewed well over 100 batches of beer, and have never seen it do this for more than 2-3 days. The OG was 1.056 so it's not like it was a huge beer or anything. Even more interesting is that it didn't even require a blowoff tube, with approx. 1/2 gallon of headspace.

Has anyone used this yeast before, or experienced such a gnarly fermentation with a different yeast?

I had a similar experience with wyeast 3711 French saison last spring. It was ridiculous. Fermentation and off-gassing was visible in the bubbler for like 9 or 10 days, in that consistent way you describe. It was a total beast. Took 1.060 down to .999 in that time.

Back