Integrated TC element or Pigtail twist Lock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Wolfairious

Reaction score
Now that I have my brew panel built, I started looking at things and thought that the cords coming from my kettles seemed unwieldy at cleaning time. Sure I could undo the clamp at the TC fitting and remove the element, but that can be a pain.
I love Brewhardware stuff. Their integrated TC element looks great. But I thought about it and at $75, if I ever dry fired it I would have to replace it at $75.
A stainless element costs $30 on amazon and the hot pod cost me $36. So what I did was add pig tail twist lock connectors real close to the element. The connector set cost me $8.50 on ebay. Now I can disconnect my cords at the kettles or/and at the panel. Cost me about the same as a TC integrated one but if I ever burn up the element I am only out the additional $30.
Anyone else done this?

1027162206.jpg

1027162206b.jpg

I had the same thought, but I decided it better to pop out the element from the kettle than the expense of an additional connector...and that forces me to get in the element ferrule area and element base and make sure its good and clean every now and then. Nice looking work though.

Back