instant beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
You know, I've often thought of this while watching those soda stream commercials!

giphy.gif

This is exciting news. I've been known to carry a couple of beers in my backpack for island treks. This could save a bunch of weight by allowing me to carry my regular water bottle as a "carbonator bottle", basically equaling the weight I'd normally carry, and then a few concentrate packets. They would be just about the only additional weight.

Now, I don't expect the beer to taste as good as, or just the same as, a good homebrewed or craft beer, but it still might be pretty decent and who knows where the technology might end up in a few years?

In the article attached to this one the developer claims that no water is removed from the concentrate, so they are not concentrating the syrup. However, it starts out with 49% alcohol, so I'm assuming there must be some alcohol added after the concentrate is made? Maybe a neutral grain spirit?

Intriguing...

This is interesting to me as I do a bit of bicycle touring and if I could pack a 12 pack in my panniers without the weight it sure would make a night in camp after a long days ride a lot more relaxing.

As an avid backpacker I would love to try it. It will be far lighter than a sixer of craft beer in cans. However I see a big drawback in the business plan. Who is going to sell it? Since it contains alcohol I doubt you will be able to buy it online and outdoor stores don't have alcohol licenses and I doubt they will get one to sell one product. Liquor stores won't sell it since it is such a niche product that very few people will buy.

Phunhog said:
As an avid backpacker I would love to try it. It will be far lighter than a sixer of craft beer in cans. However I see a big drawback in the business plan. Who is going to sell it? Since it contains alcohol I doubt you will be able to buy it online and outdoor stores don't have alcohol licenses and I doubt they will get one to sell one product. Liquor stores won't sell it since it is such a niche product that very few people will buy.

Yeah. This. Could see some idiot kids abusing it a la Four Loko then they have to change the laws.

On overnighters I carry The Champaign of Beers and hop pellets. When we set up camp we usually toss the tethered six'er of cans in a stream, set up, then retrieve. Pour in the stainless mugs, add hops, voila.

If It's a longer hike; it's just a flask or two. Or wine.

I would totally try this out. Of course, I would still more than likely pack my own hops though and my Stanley flask. We also have been known to bring wine. In the platypus bags though.

I'm not a lush, I swear.

Back