Installing a ball valve in a kettle

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
Surely there must be a good tutorial for installing a ball valve and/or thermometer in a brew pot from scratch, but I cannot seem to find what I need.

Would someone point me in the right direction, please? I'll be doing this sometime during the year and need to make sure my planning is sound.

thanks

Surely there must be a good tutorial for installing a ball valve and/or thermometer in a brew pot from scratch, but I cannot seem to find what I need.

Would someone point me in the right direction, please? I'll be doing this sometime during the year and need to make sure my planning is sound.

thanks

3 part series, give it a watch.

Last edited by a moderator:
My question is, and you'll have to excuse my lack of proper terminology, when he installed this ball valve there was a 90 elbow on the interior side of the kettle that was installed so that it was roughly 3/16th of an inch from the bottom. Wouldn't this installation leave you with about an inch of water or wort in the bottom of your kettle?

My question is, and you'll have to excuse my lack of proper terminology, when he installed this ball valve there was a 90 elbow on the interior side of the kettle that was installed so that it was roughly 3/16th of an inch from the bottom. Wouldn't this installation leave you with about an inch of water or wort in the bottom of your kettle?

Nope, leaves you with about an inch of crud in the bottom of your kettle.

JUST_BREW_IT said:

If you put a transfer hose on the valve outside the kettle, and the hose extends below the bottom of the kettle, you will end up with 3/16 of an inch in the kettle. Unless you tip it a bit at the last min then you will end up with almost nothing left in the kettle.

I'm torn whether to do an elbow vs a bazooka screen.

I did an elbow which worked fine. Then switched to a bazooka screen and it clogged with pellet hops. I'm going to go back to using a hop bag and hopefully the bazooka works better.

Buy enough parts for both options and see what works best for you. Any leftover stainless fittings will get used somewhere down the road.

At this point, I have a possible option going to a 15.5 gallon keggle that has a false bottom and a drain valve. Right now they are asking $125, i'm trying to see if we can trade at all, otherwise may offer $100 and see what happens.

I did an elbow which worked fine. Then switched to a bazooka screen and it clogged with pellet hops. I'm going to go back to using a hop bag and hopefully the bazooka works better.

Buy enough parts for both options and see what works best for you. Any leftover stainless fittings will get used somewhere down the road.

bingo.

Latest posts

Back