Installed Taps In Different Room

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Joeywhat

Reaction score
OK, I search a bit on this, and found some good info...but was still left confused with how I should handle my project...hopefully you guys who have done this can give me some help. For whatever reason I need this spoon fed to me...I'm just not comprehending all the parts and such that I'll need.

Anyways, I'm trying to run taps from my kegerator to my kitchen...which is separated by an indoor wall. Luckily my kegerator is almost exactly opposite where I want the taps to be in my kitch, so I'm thinking a straight hole through the wall will be all I need.

I already have the kegerator set up. What I need is the info on how to run the lines out into the kitchen, terminating with quality taps (not picnic taps like I have now) mounted to either the wall or counter (whichever is better). As of right now the kegerator is completely sealed, I haven't put any holes in it yet to run lines outside, it's a large chest freezer that's been converted.

I'll be running 5+ kegs. In the interest of space in the kitchen, I'm thinking 5 taps is plenty, despite my ability to hold at least 7 kegs in the kegerator. So that will be at least 5 lines going through the wall.

Onto my main questions:

1) when running lines outside the freezer, is it at all possible to run them through the side wall, where there will inevitably be cooling coils? Is my only option to run through the lid? I can cut away the inner/outer shell without hitting the coils, but I'm worried that the lines being so close might freeze the beer or damage the lines. I'd like to avoid using the lid for the sake of convience, but understand that it may be the only way.

2) Considering the relatively short travel to the taps (about 3' I'd say) do I need to keep the lines cooled the whole way? I want a 'proper' setup, so if it needs to be done then I'll do it...I'd assume so, and what would be the best option to keep them cool through the wall? I'd probably run a PVC pipe or maybe even a flexible insulated tube since it's so short...hopefully run it direct off the kegerator as well...?

3) I'd like this to look as professional as possible...at least in the kitchen. I can deal with some ghetto stuff in the other room (it's just a workshop). So I'd like to do this with the proper stuff so it looks fantastic when I'm done...

I really appreciate any help you guys can send my way. Any links to websites, etc. that show how this stuff is done and include parts list would be absolutely fantastic.

Here's mine. Very similar setup.

8217daf1.jpg

cafa3b02.jpg

I recommend building a collar. Then make two runs of pvc pipe to a tap box. I made mine out of rigid foam insulation. Works great.

My pipes are 2" pvc. I can barely fit 4 lines through them and still get air flow, so with 5 taps you may want to go a bit bigger.

Get a fan to blow cool air in one pipe. The second pipe is a return. I taped my pipe fittings together, then wrapped in foil faced pipe insulation. Seal it well or you will have a lot of moisture in your keezer.

Great results so far with a 36cfm fan running at 6volts instead of 12. I thought 12 was a little loud and this is in my basement tv room.

Good luck. Cheers!:mug:

That is what I was going to do when I get set up in me new home this winter it seems like an easy way to keep the lines cool

My garage shares a wall with my kitchen/dining area so I just poked a hole in the wall to run some taps. Put some PVC between the kegerator and the hole in the wall and caulked around the edges. Ran the lines and then wrapped it with insulation (not shown in the pictures). About 2 feet of line is outside of the fridge. It works really well. The first 1-2 ounces of the day might be slightly warm, but that is it (even in the Texas summer).

Definitely not the most professional looking on the interior wall but it works well. I just cut and routed a piece of wood for a backer. Adds some contrast but can be removed easy.

The garage

3508610126_8815c0d117.jpg

On the inside

4880116504_3b352db0d8.jpg

OK, I search a bit on this, and found some good info...but was still left confused with how I should handle my project...hopefully you guys who have done this can give me some help. For whatever reason I need this spoon fed to me...I'm just not comprehending all the parts and such that I'll need.

Anyways, I'm trying to run taps from my kegerator to my kitchen...which is separated by an indoor wall. Luckily my kegerator is almost exactly opposite where I want the taps to be in my kitch, so I'm thinking a straight hole through the wall will be all I need.

I already have the kegerator set up. What I need is the info on how to run the lines out into the kitchen, terminating with quality taps (not picnic taps like I have now) mounted to either the wall or counter (whichever is better). As of right now the kegerator is completely sealed, I haven't put any holes in it yet to run lines outside, it's a large chest freezer that's been converted.

I'll be running 5+ kegs. In the interest of space in the kitchen, I'm thinking 5 taps is plenty, despite my ability to hold at least 7 kegs in the kegerator. So that will be at least 5 lines going through the wall.

Onto my main questions:

1) when running lines outside the freezer, is it at all possible to run them through the side wall, where there will inevitably be cooling coils? Is my only option to run through the lid? I can cut away the inner/outer shell without hitting the coils, but I'm worried that the lines being so close might freeze the beer or damage the lines. I'd like to avoid using the lid for the sake of convience, but understand that it may be the only way.

2) Considering the relatively short travel to the taps (about 3' I'd say) do I need to keep the lines cooled the whole way? I want a 'proper' setup, so if it needs to be done then I'll do it...I'd assume so, and what would be the best option to keep them cool through the wall? I'd probably run a PVC pipe or maybe even a flexible insulated tube since it's so short...hopefully run it direct off the kegerator as well...?

3) I'd like this to look as professional as possible...at least in the kitchen. I can deal with some ghetto stuff in the other room (it's just a workshop). So I'd like to do this with the proper stuff so it looks fantastic when I'm done...

I really appreciate any help you guys can send my way. Any links to websites, etc. that show how this stuff is done and include parts list would be absolutely fantastic.

I'd really do a glycol line w/ pump setup... the chill factor on those is huge and when theyre running its very quiet... and you just turn the pump on and off as needed!

Latest posts

Back