Inline Duct Booster as exhaust fan?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JohnnyGunn

Reaction score
Does anyone see an issue with using an inline duct booster fan as an exhaust fan? Like the one below.

It is rated for the proper cfm I need (300), and I got it on sale for $ 35! My plan is it to use it as a fume extractor type exhaust system, where the fan itself will be placed at the end of flexible tubing that will lead to rigid ducting venting to the exterior of the house. I only want it directly over the boil kettle, I will not be building/using a vent hood. When I'm boiling, I will lower it over the kettle. When I'm done, I will raise it to the ceiling.

Thoughts?

Cheers.

0770071.jpg

Seems like low CFM to me, but I'm no engineer.

Also, a vent hood is REALLY important to draw from where you want it to draw. Even a really cheap, light hood would work way better than no hood.

I have tried a couple with disappointing results. I have one like what you pictured that barely moves any air so I added a second in line with it that is a 720 cfm and even combined they barely pull enough air to take away steam. I do have about a 5'x2' vent hood and its about 4' above the top of my kettles.

I have tried a couple with disappointing results. I have one like what you pictured that barely moves any air so I added a second in line with it that is a 720 cfm and even combined they barely pull enough air to take away steam. I do have about a 5'x2' vent hood and its about 4' above the top of my kettles.

Mine would be a little different, in that the fan would be right above the kettle about 12" or so from the opening.

If anything, I might add a large SS mixing bowl as a "hood". I've seen a few threads around here with people doing that.

I'm also brewing in a small room in the basement.

Don't use it. I bought one, and quickly replaced it with this: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B019INGAF8/?tag=skimlinks_replacement-20

I would also recommend spending a little bit more and going completely rigid on the pipe. You will notice a significant loss in suction due to the flexible pipe contracting.

EDIT: Reread your post... You can use flex and a bowl on the inlet side of the fan I linked above, but make sure it's rigid on the outlet side. That way you have the ability to move it up and out of the way.

Again, I just don't think you're going to like the performance of the booster. They're really designed to be used in conjunction with a fan, where the primary fan spools up the booster and the booster pushed air out the remainder of the run (according to my local HVAC guy).They will wear out prematurely if they are used outside of that.

Last edited by a moderator:
Back