Inline copper cfc?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Chupidacabra

Reaction score
I'm in the planning phase of upgrading my brewing system. I'm using a copper counterflow chiller currently. Is there any reason I can't have my chiller running in line for a recirculation set up in my bk? The pump set up would be for whirlpooling and transfer. My thought is this would be the ideal way to sanitize my chiller and most convenient for the actual cooling process. Would running boiling water through a copper pipe for extended amounts of time be ill advised?

I could always use cam locks and switch the connections when ready but it would be a lot more convenient without that.

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

If the wort tube is large enough that it would not clog,you could do it. I would think it would be like whorlpooling. If you could filter it, would be better. I wouldn't do it with a plate chiller.

In a nutshell: Yes, this is a great idea. It will increase your chilling times ever so slightly but you're dropping the temp of the main batch faster which evolves off less late hop aroma and results in less hop isomerization.

You also get your main kettle wort down below the DMS formation danger zone (140Fish, out of memory) faster this way AND a lot of your hot break will then stay in your kettle if you have a bit of a whirlpool action going.

The problem with this is that you'll end up with both hops and cold break proteins in your kettle and unless you have a great screen you can end up clogging things up rather quickly; many systems work just fine for filtering hops OR break, but the two together form a sludgy concrete substance that can clog even some really good filtration setups.

Another possible issue is that most CFCs have small ID tubing and for long distances so the flow rate will be far from ideal for a real good whirlpool, but some is better than none.

I'm a HUGE fan of recirculated chilling in this manner, if you can avoid clogs.

Adam

Just run some starsan through the inside of the chiller when you're done and dump / blow out the liquid from inside the tube. You do want to avoid picking up any green copper oxide poison; this is a general rule for copper immersion and CFCs, though.

Adam

I do this, although my wort travels through 1/2" SS with a copper water jacket. I collect the hot/used chiller water into my HLT and MT and then use it as pre-heated water for a second batch, or run it over to the BK and back through CFC to clean up once the carboys are filled.

The only word of warning I have is to make sure the water jacket side is open to the atmosphere during recirculation so that steam can escape. I have a couple of pin holes in the solder joints I'm chasing and can only figure that trapped, boiling chiller water pushed it's way out. Superheated steam can be dangerous...

Back