InkBird Sweet Spot Settings

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

stillshinen

Reaction score
Hello,

I have had my keezer finished for about two months and finally have a few batches of beer to serve (Anderson Valley Hop Ottin and Pliny the Elder clones 10 gallons!). My keezer if a 7.2 Frigidaire with an 8 inch collar made out of Malaysian Hardwood that i insulated with 1 inch foamboard. I currently have the Inkbird set at T5 at 40 (Temp set), PT-3 at 3 (?) CI at F (Fahrenheit), CA at 5 (? Compressor restart?), and DS at 2 (Degrees before compressor starts above 40???) The questions i have is there anyone that has a similar capacity keezer with three kegs plus a 20 lbs co2 bottle in it that has found the optimal settings. I am looking to conserve electricity as it looks like the compressor turns on every 40 minutes or so.

Thanks

:mug:

Which model inkbird do you have? I'll assume an ITC-1000 based on a photo from another thread. TS=Temperature Set Value, DS=Difference Set Value, PT=Compressor Delay, CA=Temperature Calibration Value and CF=Temperature Units Selection

CA=5 means the controller temperature measurement has been offset by 5 degrees. Have you actually calibrated the probe?
PT, the compressor delay is the minimum amount of time allowed between compressor runs.

No mention of placement of the temperature probe, which definitely has an effect on compressor cycling. My recommendation is to attach it to the lower portion of a keg under some insulation. The point being that if beer temperature is what one desires to control, then the goal is to measure the beer temperature. Something with thermal mass, ie gallons of beer, will help even out the swings in temperature and therefore compressor cycling. The worst placement, imo, is to hang the probe in free air.

Good comments from @raouliii. In addition I might suggest if the compressor kicks on every 40 minutes you might have a leak somewhere. I would not expect to need to cycle so frequently.

For an easy thermal mass for the probe, drop it in a gallon jug of water. it will help smooth things out and be more representative of what the kegs are seeing. It would actually be very close to the 5 gallon corny kegs because the cross-sections are very similar.

Good comments from @raouliii. In addition I might suggest if the compressor kicks on every 40 minutes you might have a leak somewhere. I would not expect to need to cycle so frequently.

For an easy thermal mass for the probe, drop it in a gallon jug of water. it will help smooth things out and be more representative of what the kegs are seeing. It would actually be very close to the 5 gallon corny kegs because the cross-sections are very similar.
Buy a gallon of distilled water and add Star San to it. That'll keep it nice and clean for your temp probe.

I agree with the leak theory too. Have you sealed where the bottom of your collar meets your keezer rim? Have you sealed the corners of your collar? Is the weatherstripping on the keezer lid making a tight seal on the top of you collar? Are any holes in the collar for wires/hoses sealed up around the wire/hose?

My thermometer is in a two litter apple juice jug. It is located on the hump. I will move it lower. I have used an infrared thermometer to check for leaks and didn't see any temp fluctuations. I will check the internal temp and calibrate the probe. Thanks for everyone's input. Still

My thermometer is in a two litter apple juice jug. It is located on the hump. I will move it lower. I have used an infrared thermometer to check for leaks and didn't see any temp fluctuations. I will check the internal temp and calibrate the probe. Thanks for everyone's input. Still
If that jug is sitting directly on the shell of the freezer, find a chunk of wood or something to sit it on. At best the shell acts like a huge heat sink. At worst you may be sitting directly on a coil which will allow temps to change very quickly.

If that jug is sitting directly on the shell of the freezer, find a chunk of wood or something to sit it on. At best the shell acts like a huge heat sink. At worst you may be sitting directly on a coil which will allow temps to change very quickly.

Great point let me make the change and will report back!

I forgot to mention I live in Singapore running a 120v keezer on a transformer stepped down from 220v 50 hertz. I spoke with a EE who states going from 60 to 50 hertz you loose 17% of power or cooling capacity.

Latest posts

Back