Inkbird ITC-106vh Temperature Jumps -- Normal?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryanj

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I could use some feedback if the behavior I'm seeing is normal:

I have two Inkbird ITC-106vh on my control panel (one for HLT and one for MT). I'm using RTD PT-1000 sensors. I calibrated both carefully and found them both to be about 6 degrees off (I corrected that easily on the PIDs). I also ran multiple autotune cycles on my HLT PID to make sure it was operating as efficiently as possible.

I've only brewed two batches on this system so far, but I'm noticing the HLT temp tends to bounce around quite a bit while the MT temp will hold rock solid.

I heard some rumblings about inkbirds doing this and I'm trying to figure out if I have a problem or if this is normal behavior. For instance: If I set my HLT PID to 153, it's pretty normal to see the temp fluctuating 1-2 (sometimes even up to 3) degrees in both directions. I assume this is because the heating element is turning on and off, but I wasn't sure if this behavior is "too much". If the temp spikes for any reason, it usually recovers within seconds, so I've just "let it be" since the mash temps are holding like a rock anyways.

So -- is this normal behavior?

Last edited:
It is a common problem reported by many users of the inkbird PIDs some have the issue some don't. From what I read it's not enough to effect how things come out.

I have adjusted the Filter on mine to make the temp display more stable. I believe I Have mine set to 6 or 7 and it stays pretty rock solid. Check that and see if they're both set up the same or not. Oh and it took a good 5-7 AutoTune's to come up with some great parameters for my system.

I have adjusted the Filter on mine to make the temp display more stable. I believe I Have mine set to 6 or 7 and it stays pretty rock solid. Check that and see if they're both set up the same or not. Oh and it took a good 5-7 AutoTune's to come up with some great parameters for my system.
See that's the thing -- the HLT temp tends to jump a bit here and bit there, but ultimately my mash temp holds PERFECTLY. As long as the mash temp is consistent, I really don't care what the HLT PID is displaying. I'll play with the digital filter setting to see if I can smooth things out.

I think I've probably run the AT cycle 4-5 times. I tend to run it at the beginning of the mash process since wort traveling through the HERMS coil can have an impact on the HLT in ways that the PID may not know about unless it's in AT mode. Also, the AT cycle doesn't take but a few minutes, so if it overshoots a degree here or there while learning, I don't care much. I think it's about as good as it's going to get though.

Back