Inkbird IPB-16S temp controller

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bannonb

Reaction score
Hey all:

Inkbird has one of the most affordable assembled temp controllers I've seen. Mine is self-built and works fine, but time to get a smaller/more modular one.

I currently have a RIMS tube which has a 1/2" NPT K-type Thermocouple for the probe. The Inkbird comes with a thermister that is designed for a thermowell I guess.

Has anyone used the Inkbird with a threaded probe for such an application?
-I saw mention that the controller doesn't recognize any other type of temp probe (and agree that the menus don't have any options there), but have seen various writings that imply it has been done.

I guess worst case, I could get a thermowell for my rims tube and try that, although the submerged waterproof k-type has worked great for 10 or more years with an Auber 2362 controller.
I could return the Inkbird and do a rebuild/modernization. It would cost less than the completed Inkbird, and would have the flexibility I need.

Any other thoughts or workarounds?

I haven't, so can't help you directly. You may already know this, but Inkbird is a member here at HBT, so you could ask him directly here, if you want to hear from him. Although I certainly understand wanting to hear other users' experiences, too.

In any case, you can find Inkbird if you look in the sponsors showcase subforum.

For what its worth, I've bought two temp controllers from him, both work great and have good reliability.

I went the TC thermowell for my RIMS setup, using the included temp probe. The thermowell proved to be unexpectedly accurate, like within 0.2F to exact all of the time. I put a couple drop of water in the thermowell to help with heat transfer and that helped. Did a mash yesterday with it and the temp stability was the best I have ever seen--love this controller.

I haven't, so can't help you directly. You may already know this, but Inkbird is a member here at HBT, so you could ask him directly here, if you want to hear from him. Although I certainly understand wanting to hear other users' experiences, too.

In any case, you can find Inkbird if you look in the sponsors showcase subforum.

For what its worth, I've bought two temp controllers from him, both work great and have good reliability.
Thanks Stealthfixr, I'll look at that subforum.

I went the TC thermowell for my RIMS setup, using the included temp probe. The thermowell proved to be unexpectedly accurate, like within 0.2F to exact all of the time. I put a couple drop of water in the thermowell to help with heat transfer and that helped. Did a mash yesterday with it and the temp stability was the best I have ever seen--love this controller.
Good to know it works well...not that it needs to be secure from an earthquake after all...Thanks

Back