Initial yeast formation in fermentor: Comparing dry versus liquid

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigken462

Reaction score
Hey guys, early this morning I brewed a AG Kolsch using a liquid yeast (WLP029) for the first time. I made the starter over the weekend then let it stay in the fridge until this morning. I pulled it out to let the temperature adjust etc. The yeast is working fine and all is well, but I noticed they formed huge floating clumps shortly afterwards. They were completely dissolved in the starter wort before pitching and formed an hour or so after pitching.

i-HbgKfvS-L.jpg

Never using a liquid yeast before, is this something I can expect from all them? I’m used to seeing everything settle out then come to life later.

Tonight when I went to take a look, they are already getting started ready for their task. I’m not fearing anything is wrong, just curious about the difference in how this one appeared versus what I’m used to seeing when I’ve pitched the dry yeast in the past.

i-KvGvXk5-L.jpg

Thanks much,

No worries. Each fermentation is a bit different. Some are really different.

It more to do with the particular strain than it does liquid vs. dry.

Ive had dry Danstar Nottingham form some of the most wicked huge clumps you've ever seen, so it's definitely not anything due to dry vs liquid.

Thanks guys, it's churning away happily. Just never seen the formation of clumps like that.

Kinda of off subject a little bit, but since you guys are here. I'm also new to using this chest freezer. The carboy on the bottom of the picture is a Blue Moon which is about to finish it's second week. Very little activity - if any at all going on there. I plan on keeping it there for about another week or so to clean up.

Is there a preference on which side of the freezer you would put the most active fermentor on in relation to the heat can? Also, do you guys sit the carboys on anything, such as a 1x2's to allow even temp distribution?

I taped the probe to the active carboy toward the center area, so I'm assuming so long as it's not close to the heat source things should be ok.

I've read some people keeping their probe in a water bucket, but to me, it seems you would want it on the most active vessel?

You do want it taped to the active vessel and insulated over it. Otherwise you are measuring the air temp (albeit buffered) which isn't helpful.

What temp do you have your controller set at? What yeast strains are you using on these beers? That info will affect the answers to your other questions.

With the Kolsch, I'm using WLP029. I set the temp down on the lower end to try to get a cleaner batch. So I set the controller to 65 degrees. It's still going nice this morning.

The Blue moon had already completed it's initial fermentation before I even stuck it in there, but I pitched Saf S-33 in it back on the 28th. It's pretty much done by all accounts, I just like giving them a extra week to clear out.

I have a Amber that I'm going to brew Saturday which I will also be using the WLP029. By then, i'll pull the Blue Moon out for racking. I can see already, I wished I would have purchased a bigger freezer. Lol

Do you have this where you're mostly having to cool things down or heat things up?

Climate wise, I'm in north central Alabama. If this is what you mean? The temps has been such that neither the heater or the freezer has to do much of anything - yet. I've tried to take a look at the controller when I walk out to the garage. Seems that occasionally the heat might be on for just a little while, but with the outside temps being 40-70 degrees, things seem to be stable inside w/o either side (hot/cold) having to work much.

Heck, just let it run then.

If the heater is kicking on much, you'll, of course, want to put the batch that's finishing closest to it or maybe even pull it out to be at inside room temp.

Thanks Floyd,

I'll probably yank the Blue Moon soon anyway. Per the recipe, it'll be ready to bottle by Saturday, I just like giving the yeasties a lil time to police up their mess. lol

Ok, someone should warn new brewers who is new to using a chest fermentor to not go pokin their head in deep and taking a big whiff. Lol. I don't think I have any nose hairs left. I'm assuming it was the Co2 or other byproducts of the yeasties that causes the acrid smell? I didn't go back for seconds, and just shut the lid and wished them well. lol

Latest posts

Back