Initial Taste

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crosley623

Reaction score
So it's been a few years since I've brewed. I brewed a NB Chinook IPA and a NB Irish Red 2 weeks ago and just transferred the IPA to secondary and added the final dry hops. I checked the FG and it's spot on, so I decided to check the Red and it's spot on also. I tried both and they tasted the exact same, flavorless and boring.
I never tasted my beers when I brewed before so I'm not sure what they should taste like at this point. Should I be worried?

I would wait...and taste again. Flavor develops over time. There are so many factors to consider, such as the alcohol mellowing, bitterness mellowing, flavors spreading throughout the whole brew, character from the yeast developing more as the wort rests...oh and RDWHAHB...:p

RDWHAHB?

I'm not really concerned at all, but more wondering if others beer at this stage actually taste like the beer they were trying to brew. Do the tastes develop that early on?

I taste mine when I take gravity readings (before going into the fermenter, when I think most sugar has fermented, when transferring it to secondary or keg) and most of the time I can get a feel for what the dominant flavors are going to be, but it always ends up tasting better with age. Some of the beers I've made are downright funky after a week or two, and they end up being good beers. I mean, there are some times where you can tell that you should have added more specialty grains or hops, though. If a beer doesn't have that dark roasty character before going into the fermenter, it's not going to just magically roast itself into a delicious stout. I feel that the complexity of flavor comes out with age, though. There are some flavors that just hide in the boil kettle, in the fermenter, and just come out after its been sitting in a keg or bottle. Odds are that a stronger flavor was just overpowering your ability to detect the flavor. That's why it's good to share samples when you can, because different people detect vastly different flavors.

Latest posts

Back