Initial Taste? Confused newbie.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Appleosity

Reaction score
After a few cider attempts (using frozen apple juice concentrate), I'm noticing a consistent sour taste after about a week in primary down to 1.00. Not really a pleasant taste. Is this the dryness, or could it be something else? I'm trying establish some kind of benchmark, but am a bit lost.

Alot of folks say to ferment to dryness first, but it always tastes foul to me.
Maybe the next batch I'll reign it in a bit earlier....

It's likely acidity. Juice and dessert varieties of apples tend to be overly acidic for many pallets once the sugar has fermented away. It may taste fine again once back sweetened, or you could try more traditional apple varieties to make cider from.
also, age. Don't even bother drinking a cider that young. let time balance it out a little bit.
cheers

Cider after a week is plain gross my man. Tastes like sour bread. Not good. Rule of thumb... 1 month. Although many bottle sooner i have found that one month to bottle and the bottles that last a few months are verry good. I personally cant see a difference in cider after 6-8 months.

Back