[Initial Release] RaspberryPints - Digital Taplist Solution

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Short Version: I cannot gain access to my RaspberryPints Admin page. Assuming my username is "Pi" the password I entered during the configuration process isn't being accepted. How do I get around this, I have tried the recovery button but I am not understanding the process and starting to feel pretty dumb....

Long version:
I cannot log in to my admin page. When I click "Your Logo Here" It takes me to the RaspberryPints Login. I cannot successfully log in.

What is the default user name? Pi? Was I prompted to create a username? When I click Forgot Username, I am prompted to enter my e-mail. I have done so and hit the submit button and the next screen says "You Username Is"
then there is text below that acts as a button and says "Go back To Login"
I tried a blank user name, Pi, pi, and my e-mail but no luck.

When I try to enter a password that might go with any of the above I am entering the one I was was prompted to create as I went through the set up.
When I try the forgotten password button, it prompts me to enter my e-mail and enter a NEW Password. Nothing works: I do not get an e-mail nor does any NEW password I type get me to the admin page.

Do I just need to wipe this install and start fresh?

You selected your admin account name.

If you know your MySQL username (default: root) and password, you can log in to PhpMyAdmin, open the raspberrypints database and view the users table. It'll show your username in cleartext.

Wiping the files won't do anything, because the database doesn't exist in /var/www.

So can I simply re download the the latest version of Raspberry Pi and start over from there or do I need to wipe my Pi and start from scratch because I cannot figure out my username/password combo!

You can change your password there, too. Make sure you pick "MD5" as the datatype when entering it.

Alternatively, visit the /install/index.php page and select "Clear Data" to nuke the database. Then, return to the same page to re-setup the database.

I got it up and running! This software is awesome! Great work Development Team.
I am blown away by how cool this is!

For those of you undertaking this install:
1) I don't reccomend starting at 10:30pm w/ 3-4 pints your belly
2) Carefully check off each step
3) You will succeed.

Now it is time to starting knocking holes in drywall and getting it mounted up permanently.

My first issue stemmed from me downloading the wrong file from github last night. I downloaded RaspberryPints-master.zip. Once I got the current hotfix I was golden.

We roll all hotfixes into master, then generate the release from there.

In other words, master will always contain the most recent version with all hotfixes applies. There should be no functional difference between master and the most recent release version, other than you can always go back in time with releases and not master.

Clear as mud?

Thanks for all the work on this. It looks good at my place!

20140227_215156.jpg

20140227_181358.jpg

Thadius-
Back in the initial thread as you gauged interest in this project from us you shared this link:

http://thadius856.servebeer.com/

so that we could see your live Raspberry Pi running Raspberry Pints. Can you or someone here lay out the additional steps necessary for others to copy that functionality? I would love to share my tap list with my friends.

Thanks for all the work on this! Your efforts are very much appreciated. My wife keeps walking by the list and staring at it and saying how cool it is!

Can you or someone here lay out the additional steps necessary for others to copy that functionality? I would love to share my tap list with my friends.

This is done with the magic of dynamic DNS. You sign up for a free account with a service like No-IP. A service that lets you use a URL is called a DNS and is basically just a phone-book for your internet connection's public IP address. You sign up with a DNS host like No-IP and they point a URL at your internet router's public port. No-IP has a lot of great and professionally written documentation on this process, by the way. Now anytime someone hits your URL the packets from their computer are directed to your IP... travel to your home... and hit your router - only to be blocked.

To let those packets through, set up port forwarding in your router. You say to your router, "Hey man. I really appreciate your keeping me safe, but all that traffic coming in on port 80? Yeah. I need you to pass that on to my Raspberry Pi at such and such internal IP address (like 192.168.0.101 or similar)."

Suddently, you got to reallygoodbeer.servebeer.com and it directs to your house. Your router is all like, "Fine. You're on the list. Go over there to get where you need to be."

The dynamic part of that 'dynamic DNS' is the caveat. ISPs like to rotate your public IP address from time to time. Nearly every router out there support integration with dynamic DNS services to get around this. You go into your router and enter your no-ip account info. Now, every time your router gets a new public IP, it contacts no-ip and tells them to update their phone book.

Bam. Internet accessible tap list. Make sure that admin password is secure ;)

Its a cool idea, but to sell anything (even at-cost like a by buy), we'd have to remove ourselves from HBT or buy a sponsor membership.

Off the shelf parts are the way to go when not trying to make a buck, like us.

Back in the initial thread as you gauged interest in this project from us you shared this link:

http://thadius856.servebeer.com/

so that we could see your live Raspberry Pi running Raspberry Pints. Can you or someone here lay out the additional steps necessary for others to copy that functionality? I would love to share my tap list with my friends.

This works great for showing how the Admin system works but on my computer I can only see a couple of the taps on the main screen and cannot scroll. I think its' because the system uses Chromium in the kiosk mode. That and the display on Thadius system is set for portrait and my computer screen is set at the default landscape.

There might be a way to set it up just using Chromium without the kiosk mode but that is above my pay grade.

Have you guys looked at doing something similar to the kegbot and having an individual component for each flow meter. Something like this http://chrisbrooker.ca/index.php/using-arduino-raspberry-pi-and-android-to-monitor-your-home/ should be able to handle the flow meters are inexpensive and it looks like it talks to the raspberrypi directly and wirelessly.

At the moment, the plan is to have the flowmeters attached to an arduino board that can use the gipo on the pi.

Kerber has done some testing and I have one (soon to be two) flow meters hooked up for testing as well and we're getting good response from them to the raspberry pi.

Part of the reasoning to go directly to the pi as opposed to another board or device is the location of the pi. Most people are putting the pi and monitor where the kegs are.

Also, with an additional board added on top of the arduino layer, we have the possibility of adding something like 64 additional items (I think that was the number) so you could have separate flow monitors, temp sensors, rfid readers and solenoids for each tap. the possibilities are almost endless.

There's also the cost factor of having a board designed and etched that makes it more economical to use a premade board like the Alamode for interfacing with the pi.

This is done with the magic of dynamic DNS. You sign up for a free account with a service like No-IP. A service that lets you use a URL is called a DNS and is basically just a phone-book for your internet connection's public IP address. You sign up with a DNS host like No-IP and they point a URL at your internet router's public port. No-IP has a lot of great and professionally written documentation on this process, by the way. Now anytime someone hits your URL the packets from their computer are directed to your IP... travel to your home... and hit your router - only to be blocked.

To let those packets through, set up port forwarding in your router. You say to your router, "Hey man. I really appreciate your keeping me safe, but all that traffic coming in on port 80? Yeah. I need you to pass that on to my Raspberry Pi at such and such internal IP address (like 192.168.0.101 or similar).

Suddently, you got to reallygoodbeer.servebeer.com and it directs to your house. Your router is all like, "Fine. You're on the list. Go over there to get where you need to be."

The dynamic part of that 'dynamic DNS' is the caveat. ISPs like to rotate your public IP address from time to time. Nearly every router out there support integration with dynamic DNS services to get around this. You go into your router and enter your no-ip account info. Now, every time your router gets a new public IP, it contacts no-ip and tells them to update their phone book.

Bam. Internet accessible tap list. Make sure that admin password is secure ;)

Perfect. I liked the why's and commentary in addition to the hows!
So, it's just three steps:

1) Get a URL through a free service that is dynamic
2) Set up Port Forwarding on my router and restrict the port(s) and protocols to just those needed for viewing Raspberry Pints (much like setting up voice coms for gaming etc.)
3) Update my router with the account info from my dynamic DNS service

Having the Raspberry Pi already set up on a static IP per the instructions really helps this along! Realize that I just exposed my little Pi to the whole world so the password and security must be up to snuff!

Perfect. I liked the why's and commentary in addition to the hows!
So, it's just three steps:

1) Get a URL through a free service that is dynamic
2) Set up Port Forwarding on my router and restrict the port(s) and protocols to just those needed for viewing Raspberry Pints (much like setting up voice coms for gaming etc.)
3) Update my router with the account info from my dynamic DNS service

Having the Raspberry Pi already set up on a static IP per the instructions really helps this along! Realize that I just exposed my little Pi to the whole world so the password and security must be up to snuff!

Close. #1 and #2 are correct. In the case of No-IP, it would be:

1) Sign up for a No-IP account (free).

2) Set port forwarding on your router. I wouldn't bother with L7 stateful packet inspection, if that's where you're going, as it's solely HTTP traffic. Forwarding incoming port 80 should suggice.

3) Install the update client (sudo apt-get install noip2). It checks to make sure your IP is up-to-date in the No-IP servers and sends a new one when it's not.

DynDNS is a popular alternative.

There's also the cost factor of having a board designed and etched that makes it more economical to use a premade board like the Alamode for interfacing with the pi.

This.

Custom boards don't start to get into the realm of reasonable prices until you're ordering 50-100+ boards at a time.

And then you still have to solder.

1) Sign up for a No-IP account (free).

2) Set port forwarding on your router. I wouldn't bother with L7 stateful packet inspection, if that's where you're going, as it's solely HTTP traffic. Forwarding incoming port 80 should suggice.

3) Install the update client (sudo apt-get install noip2). It checks to make sure your IP is up-to-date in the No-IP servers and sends a new one when it's not.

This is a perfectly valid alternative for those whose routers don't support No-IP or DynDNS(an alternative). In this case, it's your Raspberry Pi that's checking if your public IP has changed and letting the service know to update their list.

Ok. So I figured out the webcam was using port 80. I changed the port forwarding to 8888 (used to use this with dyndns). I can't seem to get it to work with no-ip. I used mybeer.no-ip.biz:8888 but it says it is unable to load. Is there anything else I need to do on the raspberry pi end?

Also, I tried the sudo apt-get install noip2, but it said there was no package to install. I can access the page from my internal network on different computers. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Ok. So I figured out the webcam was using port 80. I changed the port forwarding to 8888 (used to use this with dyndns). I can't seem to get it to work with no-ip. I used mybeer.no-ip.biz:8888 but it says it is unable to load. Is there anything else I need to do on the raspberry pi end?

Also, I tried the sudo apt-get install noip2, but it said there was no package to install. I can access the page from my internal network on different computers. Any thoughts?

Thanks!

Let's see... Do you mean that you have your webcam (on the RPi) set to broadcast at port 80? If so and you can access it in your network at RPi_IP:8888, I imagine it's a forwarder setting. Some routers allow you to set certain external port to forward to different ports internally. Do you have external:8888 pointing to RPi:8888?

If the above isn't your issue, give us some more specifics and we'll see what we can do. There are so many variables out there that, without a lot of info on your case, bugs are impossible to reproduce.

Let's see... Do you mean that you have your webcam (on the RPi) set to broadcast at port 80? If so and you can access it in your network at RPi_IP:8888, I imagine it's a forwarder setting. Some routers allow you to set certain external port to forward to different ports internally. Do you have external:8888 pointing to RPi:8888?

If the above isn't your issue, give us some more specifics and we'll see what we can do. There are so many variables out there that, without a lot of info on your case, bugs are impossible to reproduce.

My webcam is a stand alone wifi camera (DLink). It is set up on port 80, so I can't use that for the pi. I went in to my router and changed the port forwarding for port 8888 to the server ip for the pi.

Port Forwarding.jpg

My webcam is a stand alone wifi camera (DLink). It is set up on port 80, so I can't use that for the pi. I went in to my router and changed the port forwarding for port 8888 to the server ip for the pi.

As long as you want that webcam to have your external:80, you're going to have to do some extra work. I assume your router's only option is to forward a port to an IP and nothing more? If that's the case, then traffic is hitting port 8888 on it's public IP and directing it to RPi:8888. Apache, like any webserver only listens on port 80 by default. Without configuring Apache to listen on port 8888, the packets fall on deaf ears.

Some googling should turn up how to configure Apache to listen on multiple ports.

As long as you want that webcam to have your external:80, you're going to have to do some extra work. I assume your router's only option is to forward a port to an IP and nothing more? If that's the case, then traffic is hitting port 8888 on it's public IP and directing it to RPi:8888. Apache, like any webserver only listens on port 80 by default. Without configuring Apache to listen on port 8888, the packets fall on deaf ears.

Some googling should turn up how to configure Apache to listen on multiple ports.

That's kind of what I thought. Thank you for the help! I'll do some searching. I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and am hoping to get this up and running so I can show it off when I get there :)

That's kind of what I thought. Thank you for the help! I'll do some searching. I'm leaving on vacation tomorrow and am hoping to get this up and running so I can show it off when I get there :)

No problem! Make sure you send them our way when they want to get their rigs set up! Ha

You guys rock! That took all of about 10 seconds to get set up!

For anyone else that might run in to the same issue, here are the instructions for changing the port:
http://www.noveldevices.co.uk/rp-webserverport

And the instructions posted earlier about the no-ip set up worked, too.

The only problem I have not is that the display on the pi says it can't connect to localhost. Not a problem at the moment because 1) I'll be in Aruba all next week and 2) I don't have a dedicated display yet.

The only problem I have not is that the display on the pi says it can't connect to localhost. Not a problem at the moment because 1) I'll be in Aruba all next week and 2) I don't have a dedicated display yet.

Make sure you're hitting localhost:8888.

I get an error running "sudo apt-get install noip2" stating "unable to locate package noip2" so I looked at the Raspberry Pi group I see this:

"The download files for no-ip are only suitable for x86.
There is a good chance that this program is not available yet for ARM processors, so don't be surprised if apt-get tells you that it can't find a package for the Raspberry Pi."

So I registered a domain for $11 with No-Ip. Do I need to go another route?

I get an error running "sudo apt-get install noip2" stating "unable to locate package noip2" so I looked at the Raspberry Pi group I see this:

"The download files for no-ip are only suitable for x86.
There is a good chance that this program is not available yet for ARM processors, so don't be surprised if apt-get tells you that it can't find a package for the Raspberry Pi."

So I registered a domain for $11 with No-Ip. Do I need to go another route?

You didn't need to buy anything. No-IP subdomains are free. Guess you got an extra special custom one, eh?

You missed this post...

If you have a feature request (even if you've already mentioned it here, in another thread, emailed it to us, or sent it via carrier pidgeon), please note that we now have an *OFFICIAL* feature request system.

http://raspberrypints.com/suggestion

You'll be able to vote on others' suggestions, either up or down. This should let us get a better idea for what ideas are the most popular, not just those whose requestors are most vocal. In turn, this will let us spend our development time on features which are the most impactful. :)

I went the stone knives route, and merely set up port forwarding through two levels of NAT to get the Pi's port 80 exposed to the known universe. My FiOS public IP hasn't changed in almost two years so I'm not particularly motivated to do the dynDNS thing.

Haven't spent enough time filling in the Tasting Notes yet. I need to come up with a template.

If flow meters (and maybe a temperature gauge?) become a reality this could be very cool. For now it'll be a fun way to tease my sons ;) and maybe impress some friends...

Cheers!

Ahhh...I did miss that link! I will read.

I know I didn't need to buy a domain, but for $11 BrickhouseTapList.com was way better that the alternatives! Plus the free service looked like you have the domain for 30 days and had to renew. For $11 I got it for the year!

Yup...they upsold me. Now I'll go figure that post out you mentioned.

Thanks for all the help.

My wifi works through setup and for 6 or so hours after, then shuts down. I can reboot and it will work again for a while, then stops. A bit of poking around seems to indicate that a powered USB hub might fix it. I'm just curious why no one else seems to have reported the same issue. I went with the recommended Edimax dongle.

Everything else works well and I can't thank you guys enough.

I brought my Pi up hardwired, and just switched to wireless Thursday night.
I have the same dongle, fired up this evening around 6, and now it's seven hours later and...it's still running fine.

I'll be leaving the Pi running so if I see the same problem in the AM (or whenever) I'll post a follow-up...

Cheers!

[edit] First overnight run and it's still On The Air just fine.

My wifi works through setup and for 6 or so hours after, then shuts down. I can reboot and it will work again for a while, then stops. A bit of poking around seems to indicate that a powered USB hub might fix it. I'm just curious why no one else seems to have reported the same issue. I went with the recommended Edimax dongle.

Everything else works well and I can't thank you guys enough.

Mine's been running non-stop since release day without a hiccup.

It sounds like you got a defective wifi adapter! I've been running mine constantly for a couple months without hiccups.

If flow meters (and maybe a temperature gauge?) become a reality this could be very cool. For now it'll be a fun way to tease my sons ;) and maybe impress some friends...

Cheers!

The flow meters aren't an if at this point so much as a when.

There's a group already working on the changes and code needed as well as testing. (several of us have the meters hooked up to the pi via alamode and have them talking on pours...)

You didn't need to buy anything. No-IP subdomains are free. Guess you got an extra special custom one, eh?

You missed this post...

I have been working through the install of the noip client. I have it loaded on my Raspberry Pints. I am having trouble configuring it: Every time I run the make install command, it runs and I am prompted for my user name then my password.

I enter them, it runs, then returns "No hosts available for this user. Go to www.noip.com and create some"

When I go there and log in it shows I have *.brickhousetaplist.com

When it says "No hosts" that is confusing, I thought the Pi is the host for the application Raspberry Pints" I have a Domain and a single webpage on that domain served by Raspberry Pints. Right now everything works and it will do so until my ISP changes my IP address.

try out http://www.brickhousetaplist.com

EDIT: I started a ticked with no-ip.com because the problem is clearly on their end. For now everything works until my ISP updates my IP address.

So what am I missing here?

Back