Inherited brewing kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

guypepper

Reaction score
Hi all I have been interested in brewing beer for quite sometime now, as it happens my grandfather died and left me his old brewing kit, something he wants me to use. So I thought in his memory I better do something about it.
So far I have decided I want to try and brew Morgans queenslander gold, unfortunately this is the limit of my brewing knowledge, I know what beer I like hahahaha so this is what I have to work with pic attached plus bottles and a bottle drainer.

Thanks for any help I'm gonna need it,

image.jpg

Well,going by the pic,do you have a hydrometer to go with that test cylinder? Do you have any bottles? Capper? A brew kettle that's at least 5 gallons? We could use a list of what all you have for starters. And reading up on here & books to learn the basics of brewing. Honoring your grandpa's memory is a good thing insomuch as continuing traditions in the family. :mug:

Very cool, man. Looking at the picture, you're missing a lot. Might I recommend a very, very small investment in a good book to get you started? Head over to either Amazon or your local homebrew shop and pick one up. A lot of guys begin with Palmer's "How to Brew."

Here's a free older edition online even: http://www.howtobrew.com/

:mug:

Great idea to put your Grandfathers equipment to use.
Some of the items you may need to update just due to age. The S-air lock is discolored. This could be due to blow off material passing through it or age. If it is age the material may be very brittle. Pick up two new ones.

The coke bottle and hose must have been the blow off assembly. Pick up the bubbler type air lock for a blow off assembly. Easier to clean when blow off material passes through.

The hydrometer could be replaced with a newer model. The plastic tube it comes in will be the sample holder.

Check the seal for the pressure barrel for flexibility. Over the years seals dry out and begin cracking. The cracks can harbor bacteria.
The pressure barrel looks like it is in very good condition. Purchasing a spring loaded bottling wand to attach to the spigot would be a nice upgrade to make bottling a more pleasant process.

When you really get the brew bug, a bench capper is a beautiful piece of equipment to use. I would recommend the Super Agata.

"The Joy of Home Brewing" is another book that would be good to have.

Thanks guys I live in a small town so everything will have to be ordered online I'm from Australia btw, will have a bit of a read and have a look on the net and see what I can get thanks so far for the help it's appreciated

The guys on the Cooper's forums are mostly from Australia,so they would most likely be able to help you get stuff as local as possible.

Back