Inheritance Pieces

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JerBeer

Reaction score
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410999647.417334.jpg
ImageUploadedByHome Brew1410999672.382346.jpg

My grandfather passed away this summer. Every year he would make a barrel of hard cider with the local orchard owner. I've had it. It was good. Not until after he passed did I find out he aged it in a Jim Beam Barrel. The orchard owner called and asked if the family wanted it. Well, yes. Yes I do. Finally picked it up today. Still had some cider in it! Anyone know how to clean these or how I sanitize it?

He was also the Chicken King of these parts in Upstate New York. He left me his BBQ Pits. Enough to do 300 chicken halves. I did 75 in his honor for his funeral. He is missed! Learned a lot from that man. RIP Teddy.

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411000148.887360.jpg

ImageUploadedByHome Brew1411000178.926097.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Home Brew

Sorry about your grampaw. but that beam barrel & BBQ pits should ease your pain a bit. A group brew with that barrel might be interesting!...:tank:

My condolences.

I've never had a barrel so I'm not sure how to clean it out, sorry. That's pretty cool though to have his barrel to keep the tradition going.

That chicken looks amazing! I can smell it from here!

I'm sure your grandfather would be happy to know you were getting good use out of his barrel. I've never used a barrel but I'd think a good way would be to pour a bottle of Jim Beam in it and roll it around periodically so every surface got a good coating. Then, depending on the style you're going for just rack your beer on top of the beam. That's totally a guess though.

I love Chiavettas! (i am from WNY). I'm sure your grandfather would be happy to know you are using both his 'toys' well. :)

You may not want to clean it. It may have a bug in it, that may be responsible for the good flavor of his cider. Most likely it does have a bug. There is not going to be any bourbon flavors left if he ran a lot of batches through it. There may not be much of oak either. But, that can be a great thing. If it was mine, I would make a 5 gallon simple smash and put it in there and see what happens.

Latest posts

Back