Infussion Mash Tun Efficiency Issues

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

BrewIt

Reaction score
Good evening all. Anyone have efficiency issues with the SS Brewtech Infussion Mash Tun? I have the 20 gallon. I recirculate with and electric HERMS coil along with their sparge arm. I know most people recirculate at 1 gallon per minute. When I did this my efficiency dropped 10 points! So at 1 gallon per minute lead me to believe I had channeling issues. I have found that my efficiency is significantly better at 1.5 quarts per minute. But that also seems excessively slow. Anyone had the same issues and was there a fix?

I have a 20gal InfuSsion mash tun as well that I am running recirculation through an electric HERMS system with the SS Brewtech recirculation manifold and I have also been running into efficiency "issues". Initially, my efficiency values were in the low 60's, but have started to trend upwards. From my research into the issue, there were some main variables such as mash pH, grind size/consistency, sparge speed, and other process issues (ie flowrates too high / channelling, temperature problems, mash bed too compact, too short of a mash, etc.). Since then, I've tried to be as consistent and deliberate with my process as possible to avoid variables (especially focusing on a consistent hour-long sparge). From there, I looked at some of the things that what I wasn't doing, ie checking mash pH or milling my own grain. I started with checking mash pH and since I've done this, the efficiencies have increased to around 75% without changing anything else. My next step will be milling my own grain (or consistently sourcing them from the same place). As I was buying pre-milled grains online from a number of different places, this has been an uncontrollable variable. Another uncontrolled variable is that I'm not brewing the same beer every brew day, but I don't think that's going to change anytime soon (I like variety). While I'm far from where I want to be, I'm just going through the process as iteratively as possible. Hope this helps!

Back