Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerclone

Reaction score
Batch was put into fermenter last nite. The glitch? The stopper for the airlock fell in the carboy. It was sanitized but with as much as I handled it who knows. Thoughts? I know it's early yet.

image-684707250.jpg

You're screwed. Dump it.

J/K. Way too early to tell. I hope your hands or whatever you used to pull out the stopper was sanitized. Most likely you're fine. I did an IPA with whole hops once, not knowing what a nightmare they were to strain. Long story short, I had my hands in and out of the wort trying to strain the hops for at least half an hour. I sanitized everything thoroughly, especially my arms up to my elbows, and it turned out fine. No infection, no off flavors. That beer actually took first in a competition.

No worries.

The stopper is still I'm the carboy so my hands weren't in the beer at all. I was handling the stopper though. I just have to hope my hands were sanitized enough from putting the stopper and airlock in star San.

Yeah, you should be fine. I'd be more worried about the beer leeching flavors from the rubber stopper, but I don't know whether that's an issue or not. I would guess you're ok to just wait until fermentation is done, let it sit for a couple days, then bottle or keg, which ever your method is.

Looks pretty normal now. I feel better at least for the time being.

Back