Infection?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

masterblaster

Reaction score
Was going to bottle, then saw this. Looks like orange pulp clumps. What do I have? Can I bottle and avoid? Is this a, get people sick one?

image-3457174978.jpg

image-3203746734.jpg

So not all yeast cakes or suspends? Good to know. I will go ahead and bottle tonight.

Most of the yeast will drop once primary fermentation has completed, but some may still float on the beer. If you want to ensure that it all drops leaving cleaner, clearer beer, leave it for more time and/or cold crash it.

Before you bottle, make sure the gravity is stable for 2-3 consecutive days. Just because most of the yeast has dropped, doesn't mean its finished. Also a good idea to leave it for 4-5 days after fermentation is complete so that the yeast can clean up any off flavors or unwanted bi-products produced during primary fermentation. Don't rush it!

Different yeasts do different things. Gotta keep in mind yeast itself is a kind of infection so it's likely to look just as "gross" as any infection.

Of course that raises the question how can one tell if its an infection or just yeast being weird in a way you haven't seen it before? which is tough.

I dunno. After the third or fourth infection panic, yeast, whether its flaky, gooey, oozy, dry, blocky or whatever begins to sort of *look* like yeast. (I've never seen yeast quite as gooey as yours but it "looks" like yeast to me.) I think it something to do with getting some sort of sign that yeast after fermentation is somehow breaking apart from something larger and lessening whereas infections are growing. I know that doesn't make any sense but it's an impression I get looking at your photos. Don't know why exactly... something about the gooey ooze sort of softening and rounding the floaty rather the stretching and spreading the floaty out.... I dunno ... Then non-yeasts infections usually have *something* not right. An off color say... or just the barest hint of fuzz or legs.

I went ahead and bottled it. Smelled ok, tasted ok, avoided the floaters. They were like oysters at surface level with orange pulp type legs. I sampled the hydro tube and am feeling ok. I will check one in a week.

Back