Infection? Yeast Floaters or Frozen Yeast?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Just got done cold crashing at 36 degrees for a couple days. Opened up the carboy and saw this... It looks like frozen yeast floaters but I have no idea?! The yeast is Horindal Kveik. I’m nervous it’s mold out of fear, but now that I’ve calmed down a bit I’m starting to second guess it’s mold. I’ve never seen anything like this so I’m not entirely sure. I need a second opinion. This is all I can get for pictures.

Attachments

• FB66D3B6-09C2-4E06-9625-3DBA1E83102B.jpeg
    FB66D3B6-09C2-4E06-9625-3DBA1E83102B.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 26
  • 40EAB891-A741-431F-B6E5-9D45B3DF61C4.jpeg
    40EAB891-A741-431F-B6E5-9D45B3DF61C4.jpeg
    1 MB · Views: 29
  • 1FA2FCC9-854A-43A2-9C3B-E76CE39A9A6C.jpeg
    1FA2FCC9-854A-43A2-9C3B-E76CE39A9A6C.jpeg
    1.1 MB · Views: 29
Though I'm a bit surprised to see anything floating at 36°F, I'm inclined to go with yeast rafts, as there doesn't seem to be any "connectivity" on the surface. I've never used a Kviek strain, maybe they make extra floaty rafts?

Cheers!

Though I'm a bit surprised to see anything floating at 36°F, I'm inclined to go with yeast rafts, as there doesn't seem to be any "connectivity" on the surface. I've never used a Kviek strain, maybe they make extra floaty rafts?

Cheers!

I’ve never saw this before so I’m a bit miffed. I have no idea what is going on. Why would anything be floating unless it somehow fell off from the sides or floated from the bottom. I’m so confused. Kveik is weird it has a mind of its own.

Hard to tell from the pictures but that doesn't look like yeast to me. Hornindal has never left anything floating like that for me. Was this commercial liquid Hornindal or flakes from someone online? I've gotten infected kveik from people online twice. One of them made the "broken ice floe" look similar to your pictures. It turned the beer to acetone and dropped the PH to 3.2.

How does it smell? Have you tasted it yet?

Hard to tell from the pictures but that doesn't look like yeast to me. Hornindal has never left anything floating like that for me. Was this commercial liquid Hornindal or flakes from someone online? I've gotten infected kveik from people online twice. One of them made the "broken ice floe" look similar to your pictures. It turned the beer to acetone and dropped the PH to 3.2.

How does it smell? Have you tasted it yet?

It doesn’t smell and it tastes ok. ‍♂️ Should I check the PH sample?

I kegged it, should I worry about my keg if it’s infected? I see the broken ice floe I thought the same thing. What’s my chances of getting another infection?

Photos are pretty grainy but it looks like a pellicle to me.

I kegged it, should I worry about my keg if it’s infected? I see the broken ice floe I thought the same thing. What’s my chances of getting another infection?
I recommend treating it like normal.

infected kveik
"Kveik" is a farmhouse culture that may naturally contain wild yeasts and/or bacteria. Perfectly normal.

It doesn’t smell and it tastes ok. ‍♂️ Should I check the PH sample?

As long as it continues to taste good, don't sweat it. Your keg will be fine, just clean it really well and sanitize it. Make sure all of your brewing equipment is clean and sanitized. You should be fine.

"Kveik" is a farmhouse culture that may naturally contain wild yeasts and/or bacteria. Perfectly normal.

I know, and that's why I love my original Hornindal culture with its earthy/mushroomy bacterial funk. But Voss and Ebbegarden shouldn't turn into acetone in a week. Got both from the same guy, who obviously had some sanitation issues.

Back