INFECTION! Would you drink this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Aside from the packaged concentration, what about it is dangerous? Looking at the datasheet, it appears that the active ingredient is just phosphoric acid: https://www.fivestarchemicals.com/wp-content/uploads/Star-San-HB4.pdf I mean, for comparison, that's an ingredient in coca cola.

Unless there's more to the picture than meets the eye, I think I'd worry more about ingesting too much iodine from iodaphore than I would about star san. Am I missing something?

So are you saying that you can sanitize with it and not rinse it out with water afterwards, like I do with the "no rinse" iodaphore?

I'm never worried about a bit of iodine in my system, it's in salt because we need it, unless it's tainted with radioactive cesium that is, lol.

Do not rinse Star San! Tap water is non-sanitary.

It's actually the iodine that is potentially radioactive.

So are you saying that you can sanitize with it and not rinse it out with water afterwards, like I do with the "no rinse" iodaphore?

I'm never worried about a bit of iodine in my system, it's in salt because we need it, unless it's tainted with radioactive cesium that is, lol.

Not sure anymore. I did some more reading and found out that it's the surfactant that's the true active component that doe the killing, and that the phosphoric acid just provides the right ph level for it to be effective. So, I was wrong to think that it's just the phoshoric acid (which, yes, I wouldn't worry about).

Dilute the Star San in water at the correct ratio.
Stir to mix.
Wet the clean surface you need to sanitize for at least 2 minutes with the diluted Star San solution.
Do not rinse.

It's really quite easy to use. Exactly the same procedure as Iodophor.

Back