Infection or yeast on the surface? Chocolate Nibs added.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

DroneKeeper

Reaction score
I added some chocolate nibs to a Chocolate Milk Stout from Northern Brewer. Per instructions I soaked the nibs in vodka before adding (2 week soak actually.) Within an hour or two this foam/yeast material appeared on the surface. There was a bit more today and it seems to be staying about the same. I'm guessing this is just yeast that has been disturbed by the nibs plopping into the trub on the bottom and then floated up to the top or maybe a burst of fermentation from some sugars in the nibs. 2 hours seems too soon for this to be a secondary infection from the nibs and I'm doubting that anything can survive being soaked in vodka for two weeks. I'm nervous anyways about it so I thought I would toss a picture up for your judgement. Thoughts?

Attachments

• nibs.jpg
    nibs.jpg
    84.6 KB · Views: 148
Nay sir! I doth say this looks highly suspect. A sizable sample for further analysis will be required.

But yeah, what RPh_Guy said. Looks fine.

I'll throw a third vote into the "looks fine" column. Sounds tasty too.

I made a chocolate milk stout and added the nibs the same way. It turned out great. Looks fine to me.

Latest posts

Back