Infection? Or nothing.....

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Terek

"Did I just drop down a rabbit hole?"
Reaction score
I have been brewing beer for a while now, but this is my first cider. It has been in the first firm enter about 3 weeks now. Has looked great and bubbles coming up from the bottom every were. I haven't looked at it for about 5 days. Got home tonight and opened the door. The bubbles have stopped and now there is a thick crouzen on top that was never there. I was gonna transfer to the second vessel for clearing, but not sure what to do. It looks like yeast. Is this normal? Like I said, there was nothing on the top until I looked today. It's motts juice, with a little nutmeg and cinimon added.

image.jpg

And another. Krouzen around the edges and large bubbles in middle. I thought it was mold at first, but it's smooth and looks just like washed yeast, witch is what I used

image.jpg

I would smell it and taste it.

I know this doesn't help much now but I feel like this is really the best way to know.

So I racked it anyways. At first I smelled it. Smelled like apple juice and a LOT of alcohol. Did a test sample. FG at 1.001. I tasted. Now like I said, this is my first cider, so I'm not sure what a really green cider tastes like. It didn't taste bad, kind of tangy and sharp. But I didn't get any hint of a taste you might get from a beer with an infection. I think it's ok, but still would like to hear if this is normal, or anyone else has seen this.

I don't have much experience, but it looks almost exactly like my brews usually do.

I'm brewing at high temps though...

I don't have much experience, but it looks almost exactly like my brews usually do.

I'm brewing at high temps though...

I'm siting at about 70-75* in my house lately so what you have said puts me at ease. I checked today, 24 hr update. Smells fine, has cleared up conciderably and seems fine. Small bubble patches are on top. At first I thought mold, but I think just my mind playing tricks.

image.jpg

Back