Infection?? Is yeast still usable?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GrizBrew

Reaction score
Hate to tell you this, but it definitely looks like an infection. I would not use the yeast again - you'll just carry the infection over with it. Sorry :(

I guess the bright side of all this is that I have an empty fermenter! And it was only a 3 gallon batch. I guess I will have to figure out a different yeast though. Luckily, BDG isn't too particular on it's yeast. Maybe another pack of Wyeast Bier De Garde and some Nottingham would do the trick

Double infection!! A small batch of parti gyled Dunkelweizen had a nasty floater too. I didn't see anything, smell anything or taste anything funky in the 5 gallon batch of Dunkelweizen , so I racked it to a secondary leaving the top layer fairly undisturbed. A touch under attenuated but better sweet than sorry:)

I had a well used plastic tube that may be the culprit. I tossed it along with some ugly airlocks. Hopefully this will take care of it. This is my first infection in over 30 batches. I suppose I was due. Pretty lame though. I guess I am shopping for some new plastic today...

Back