Infection/Contamination?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ToddStark

Reaction score
Boy I sure hope not all my experts are camping or plowed this fine holiday day. I could sure use some advice ASAP.

I am bottling an ale that has been sitting in a ferm chamber for about 3 weeks. I had a very aggressive fermentation and at about day two, blew the lid off my 5 gal bucket. I resealed it all and cleaned out the air lock and reattached/filled with vodka.

The last batch and really all my previous 3 batches came out looking and smelling like beer. Clear with really nothing floating on top. This batch looks like it has monster head from just being poured.

Please advise on what you guys think, is it safe to bottle?

I got three pictures of it in the ferm bucket as it drains into my bottling bucket. The last two pics are what it looks like in the bottling bucket. Smells good at least. No sour or foul smells.

IMG_20160530_133228883_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160530_133235059_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160530_133240920_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160530_133248569_HDR.jpg

IMG_20160530_133326329_HDR.jpg

I've not used Ringwood but with some yeasts the krausen can be stubborn. If in doubt always go by stable gravity, but I'd expect it to be done in 3 wks and the beer itself looks pretty clear.

It would be a really good idea to take some SG readings before racking to the bottling bucket. SG can indicate if there has been a problem with the fermentation.

Looks like star san to me. Sometimes it can have an oil slick look to it but considering the first pics to bottling bucket it should confirm no problems with any infection. Time will tell.

It would be a really good idea to take some SG readings before racking to the bottling bucket. SG can indicate if there has been a problem with the fermentation.

Yea my Gravity came in fine. Was looking for FG of 1.022 and came in at 1.013

Latest posts

Back