Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

AkTom

Reaction score
C3912ECF-6D7D-4428-B556-E7D6418B8E76.jpeg
B23A86AE-87A1-48F6-AAC1-73FF178D56D7.jpeg

Top pic looks like it’s infected.
Bottom pic, lid wasn’t sealed good and fruit flies got in...
What to do? This was a batch that didn’t ferment. I was too cheap to dump it several months later, this is where it’s at.

Both photos are contaminations, as they both have a pellicle.

I don't see any mold.

If they don't smell nasty, check gravity reading.
If it's alcoholic it should be ok to taste.
Good luck!

Really? Doesn't look like flies from the photo. Looks like there's a bunch of grain or rice hulls floating and a grayish film on the liquid surface.

If those are flies or maggots, my advice stands. If you can stomach it, nothing harmful will live in low pH moderate alcohol for a month (excluding mold, which I don't see).

Why didn't they ferment?

If they indeed didn't ferment I wouldn't even taste or use them. Toss 'em out!
1) There is no or little alcohol and the pH may have remained too high too long to prevent deadly botulism from growing.
2) There's no or only little alcohol, it's not worth distilling.

The first one may have gotten a wild yeast or bacteria in there, it's probably sour.

Oxygen prevents Clostridum spp. from growing -- they're strict anaerobes.

Botulism is not a risk, especially if it smells fine.

Last edited:
It has little to no smell. I’m not sure what to do with it. I’ll wait a little while before tossing.

That bottom one could have been on the old show Fear Factor, maggot beer.

I’ll wait till this weekend and dump it all. I’m a pack rat, and hate throwing things away...
if you hear a sighing in the wind Saturday, that’ll be me.
Cheers

I’ll wait till this weekend and dump it all. I’m a pack rat, and hate throwing things away...
if you hear a sighing in the wind Saturday, that’ll be me.
Cheers
At least try the one on top before you dump it. The one with flies in it on the other hand, is just disgusting and should go down the drain.

Definitely try the top one. Sour beers Dan be amazing, and sour beer can make some amazing whiskey.

Bottom I wouldn't because of the flies. Even if there was alcohol, flies can carry anabaector and reduce the alcohol to vinegar.

Back