Infected

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

razyrsharpe

Reaction score
damnit. went to rack my SMaSH to a secondary and bam... infection. :( lost a bit of sleep over it, but i'll climb right back on that horse tomorrow. going to remake a version of it with the same malt (Munich Light) and now using Glacier hops instead of Willamette and Nottingham yeast instead of US-05. crossing my fingers too.

on the positive side, it is only my second infection ever. so, the odds are with me this time i hope.

Why secondary? My last two batches I decided to not secondary. Hop flavor was much better. Same recipes I have brewed a dozen times. Both dry hopped in the primary. I may never secondary again.

Why secondary? My last two batches I decided to not secondary. Hop flavor was much better. Same recipes I have brewed a dozen times. Both dry hopped in the primary. I may never secondary again.

I quit using a secondary long ago. My beers come our really well.

The only time I use a secondary is when I lager. Any time you can eliminate a chance for infection without sacrificing flavor, do it. I keg so the beer will settle and clear in the keg. I never cold crash either. Why? So the first pint or two will be a little cloudy? I'll take those for the team before serving to guests.

I little haze has never bothered me. I'll take a hazed good tasting beer over a crystal clear so-so beer any day.

I have found much better clarity when using a secondary. That being said, the infection occurred BEFORE I transferred it. It never made it to the clearing vessel at all.

Back