Infected?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

duderay

Reaction score
This is my 1st attempt @ wine Its a dandelion wine thats been in primary since May 14th I used champagne yeast, which I heard was good to leave on the lees for some time. I was away for a few days and came back to this yellow stuff floating on top. What is this? Can it be fixed?

image-1742713505.jpg

image-2777302002.jpg

Ok, that makes me feel better. I'm sure it'll take a few rackings to get that out. Anyone else made dandelion wine before?

Ok, that makes me feel better. I'm sure it'll take a few rackings to get that out. Anyone else made dandelion wine before?

Yes, all the time. My favorite recipe is posted in the "recipes" database or it can be found under my avatar on the left.

There is nothing to be gained by not topping up and/or leaving this wine on the lees for extended periods. Rack to get it off the lees, top up, and wait another 60 days. You'll notice that this wine will drop fine lees for a long time, so just plan on racking whenever you have lees 1/4" thick or any lees at all after 60 days. It will eventually stop!

Ok thanks, what's best to top it off with? Water, juice, or another wine? My recipe didnt call for raisins, so I hope it's not lacking body.

Ok thanks, what's best to top it off with? Water, juice, or another wine? My recipe didnt call for raisins, so I hope it's not lacking body.

My preference for topping up is a similar wine. If you don't have any dandelion wine from last year, you could use a commercial wine like a pinot grigio. If it's just a little, water is fine.

Latest posts

Back