Infected Pumpkin Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MCoyle

Reaction score
Hi all, happy Labor Day! I am noticing that my fermenting pumpkin ale has what appears to be a start of an infection. Here are two pics. Please let me know what you think. Brewed two weeks ago about to bottle in another week or so.

Attachments

• BA03EB9F-BFCA-42BC-8F06-48D613B4F72F.jpeg
    BA03EB9F-BFCA-42BC-8F06-48D613B4F72F.jpeg
    1.4 MB · Views: 68
  • 74622590-30AD-4582-9315-B2FA546ECC69.jpeg
    74622590-30AD-4582-9315-B2FA546ECC69.jpeg
    899.7 KB · Views: 62
Looks 100% typical right now. Relax and have a beer lol. Any reason your waiting another 7-14 days to bottle? Your krausen is gone, no visual signs of fermentation are occurring, as long as you’re at a stable gravity I’d go for it

yes looks ruined. Definitely a pumpkin infecting what would otherwise be a perfectly good beer ;). (But guess that leaves more for all the pumpkin beer fans.)

What kind of pumpkin did you use? Fresh, canned. How and when did you add it to the fermenter.

Looks 100% typical right now. Relax and have a beer lol. Any reason your waiting another 7-14 days to bottle? Your krausen is gone, no visual signs of fermentation are occurring, as long as you’re at a stable gravity I’d go for it

thanks for the reply. It’s just having the time to bottle. Will def make time to do it this upcoming weekend. Cheers!

yes looks ruined. Definitely a pumpkin infecting what would otherwise be a perfectly good beer ;). (But guess that leaves more for all the pumpkin beer fans.)

What kind of pumpkin did you use? Fresh, canned. How and when did you add it to the fermenter.

hahaha..sorry to disappoint! I used canned Libby’s 100% pumpkin during the mash and the boil. Did not add directly to the fermenter

hahaha..sorry to disappoint! I used canned Libby’s 100% pumpkin during the mash and the boil. Did not add directly to the fermenter
Then my worries are approaching zero, unless you totally goobered basic sanitation. Fresh pumpkin has potential for contamination, depending on how its used, but little concerns with Libby’s.

Then my worries are approaching zero, unless you totally goobered basic sanitation. Fresh pumpkin has potential for contamination, depending on how its used, but little concerns with Libby’s.

I am always really careful with sanitation so I think I’m good there. The one mistake I know I made with this batch, was pitching the yeast at about 80-85 degrees Fahrenheit. I think closer to 80...I know I know..not the best, but hey, it happened..

really useful- thanks again! It’s great to have a community that supports one another
HBT is an amazing resource, it true trial and error by your peers. The recipe threads are great too.

Latest posts

Back