Infected kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Verratti

Reaction score
I have a problem this morning. I have a kit of Amarone from En primeur in my basement and a mice chewed on the raisin bag. That isn't much of a deal but that was almost a week ago. What I haven't noticed is, it chewed on the bag of juice just enough for it to get contaminated. I see white stuff floating at the top. If I pour the juice into the fermenter and take the white stuff out, then add enough k-meta, will it be salvageable ? So poised to lose a 150$ kit cause of a stupid mice :mad:

I have a problem this morning. I have a kit of Amarone from En primeur in my basement and a mice chewed on the raisin bag. That isn't much of a deal but that was almost a week ago. What I haven't noticed is, it chewed on the bag of juice just enough for it to get contaminated. I see white stuff floating at the top. If I pour the juice into the fermenter and take the white stuff out, then add enough k-meta, will it be salvageable ? So poised to lose a 150$ kit cause of a stupid mice :mad:

I don't know the answer to that, sorry to say.

If it was me, I'd definitely give it a try with a big dose of k-meta.

Ok well I guess I have nothing to lose. I have something in my primary, but i'll toss it into secondary to start trying to save the Amarone. Hope it works or else this will be 150$ plus all the effort for nothing :(

Thanks Yooper, so far you have been more helpful to me then Jack Keller (and his pretty darn useful). I have 2 idols of home brewing ;)

As I was cleaning a carboy, I was wondering after I add the K-meta since I'll add more then suggested, how long do I wait before pitching ?

Do you have pictures of the white stuff? If it is a white film, It sounds like you've got mycoderma floating on the surface, this means that the bag of juice was chewed through and air got in the bag.
Mice are nasty creatures, they will urinate and defecate where they eat, if the mouse or rat chewed through the juice bag, I'd get rid of it.
Wasting $150.00 unfortunately is better than ingesting rodent urine and or feces.

well it chewed the bag just enough cause personally, the bag doesn't look bad at all. theres no trace of any urine or defecation on the bag.

As gross as it sounds, I think you'll be ok if you ferment it. There is nothing that can survive in beer/ wine that can harm humans, mice get into grain and grapes all the time. I would not do any kind of super k-metabi add you will stress out the yeast and get a bad ferment if your SO2 levels are high.

Start to ferment as normal (assuming your open bag of juice hasn't started fermenting already) then rack to another fermenter or temporary container leaving the pond scum behind. Use DAP and/or a yeast rehydration nutrient to give your ferment the best start possible.

Ok got it done. Smells amazing. id show you guys a picture, but the white Stuff didnt fall with the juice And the the juice just teinted the stuff. Overall, I did as normal with a kit, addenda k-meta and will add the yeast tomorrow.

Thanx to everyone. Will post back hopefuly with Good news!

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back