Infected Holiday Stout - Rack from under now, or later?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

pkrath84

Reaction score
I've been blessed by my first infection! Im seriously hoping this makes my beer taste even more awesome than originally intended :rockin:

Just a little background:

This was an Imperial Stout Kit from NB made per instructions and with Wyeast 1728. I split it into (2) 3gal carboys for aging/additions. The one you're currently looking at is the portion that actually was transferred and has been sitting without any additions for 3 weeks. The carboys were crystal clear until...

About a week ago, I went to top off my airlocks with diluted starsan, noticed a few fruitflies had wandered into the airlock and decided to take the airlock off. I covered the carboy and rinsed and changed the solution completely before re-installing the airlock.

Funny thing is, I did the same with the other 3gal split which I added Oak to... There's something in that one too, but not nearly as much nor does it look anything like this with the film floating across the top. I'll get a picture of that one tomorrow but it doesn't really concern me as much as the one pictured.

I had planned to age these for a Holiday Stout. I was going to start adding a few more things to it in september/october... My question is... At this point, should I age it as it is with this stuff floating on top? Or should I rack from underneath into another sanitized carboy?

I kind of feel like its one of those damned if you do, damned if you dont situations... Anyone with experience able to chime in?

DSC_0373.jpg

DSC_0375.jpg

DSC_0383.jpg

DSC_0378.jpg

Actually, in the bottom left corner there's strings of "beads" I'll call them without that thin film... There a little bit of that in the other carboy with the Oak, but not much else... Maybe not even half of what little line of "beads" just to the right of the indentation on the glass carboy.

Is that what you call that thing? :D

Oh, and if it makes any difference here's what was going to go in the portion you're seeing currently:

Blackberries
Cocoa Power
Vanilla Bean

Back