Infected, but I want to embrace the funk.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Majd

Reaction score
Hi all,
Five gallons of porter caught some funk. While this is exciting, we are asking for some advice.
View attachment ImageUploadedByHome Brew1484699283.879796.jpg
This beer was a Parti-gyle, with main beer being Russian Imperial Stout. The grain bill was, for both the RIS and the gyle as follows:
80% base MarisOtter
5% crystal (20 L)
5% chocolate
5% roasted barley
3% carapils
2% black malt.
Mash @ 154
For the party-gyle, fermented from 64F - ramped to 70F in a week.
OG=1.056, total of 10 gallons split into two glass carboys, pitched good volume dry English 007 yeast slurry and put the carboys in different fermentation chambers.
One of the carboys did not have a good air lock seal and ended up catching some Brett like funk (photo included). While the other did not. The funky carboy attenuated to 1.010, the non funky carboy stopped at 1.013. Taste notes reflect a Brett character.
We want to embrace the funk and sour it. What will any of you recommend bugs wise? And what fruit would be good to provide food for the bugs since the beer has attenuated.

If you want sour, as in tart and acidic, add something with pedio, whether that's a lab blend like Rosealare, or dregs of a commercial beer. Some maltodextrin would probably help, but there should be plenty of sugar left. The problem is that pedio will have a hard time growing in a beer as hoppy and alcoholic as this one.

If you just want funk, I'd let it ride or add some Brett C. Either way, the gravity will probably slowly drop, which will mean the astringency of the dark malts will become more prevalent. If you like the direction it's heading, I'd just leave it be for a few months, then decide if you want to add fruit.

Does the brett character taste good? How's it smell?

Honestly, you could have some nice delicious wild yeast in your beer, but it's more likely you have something that's going to cause off flavors and attenuate unpredictably.

I agree that this beer is likely too hoppy (or IBU-y) to get soured effectively. I'd let it ride and see if anything interesting happens (what if you discover the next great Brett strain?)

Back