induction

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bmathews

Reaction score
Hi guys I live in a development and they will not allow us to have propane burners and my stove sucks. I would like to get a potable induction cook top but I cant find any reviews. I was hoping someone has some experience with them and coukd give some advice. O and I don't want to do a keggle with electric heating elements cause I already have the brew pot.

I have a portable 110v Frigidaire induction unit in my brewery for making starters. I tried using it to boil 5 gallons of water once and it didn't have enough power to get the water past 180 degrees. I would assume that if you do partial boils (2.5-3 gallons) for extract brewing, you could make it work. But if you are ever wanting to do a full boil for extract or all-grain, you will want something more robust than one similar to mine.

I believe they do make 220v portable units but you would need to plug that into your dryer outlet. Something with that kind of power would probably boil 5 gallons.

As mentioned above, check to make sure your current brew pot holds a magnet. If it doesn't, it will not work with an induction cooktop.

Ya I did the magnet trick thats all good. But thats what I was worried about whether it would be powerful enough. It looks like your model is only a 1300 watt unit and I know they make 110 models up to 1800 watts. Wonder if that would do it?

I use induction cookers for part of my brewing. I use one to heat the water in my HLT and another to direct fire my mash tun. My units are ~1400 Watt units and DO NOT have the power to do a full boil (7 gal. initial volume) - I use propane for the boil. They work GREAT for my purposes

UofMontanaAlum is correct, if you can keep the volume you need to boil at 3 gal. or less, the cooker will work great. Maybe you could push it to 4 gal.

You can still do partial boils with all grain. Just make the wort with a higher SG and dilute it in the fermenter.

I do half batches in 12 qt pots with 1300 W Induction burners. It works about as well as the electric range.

For a big pot, you need a commercial 240V unit, 3000W or better.

bmathews said:
Hi guys I live in a development and they will not allow us to have propane burners and my stove sucks. I would like to get a potable induction cook top but I cant find any reviews. I was hoping someone has some experience with them and coukd give some advice. O and I don't want to do a keggle with electric heating elements cause I already have the brew pot.

Could you do electric with the kettle you already have? Just a thought. Mark

I'd go with a well made heatstick using copper or SS pipe. Aquarium silicone works as does JB weld but personally I like to avoid plastics on the hot side of things whenever possible.
As an aside: Is the ban on propane burners wholesale or could you brew in your driveway/parking spot? Sometimes describing your intent(boiling liquid, not frying turkeys) to the management can get you an exception.

No it has to do with open flames and storing flammables. We arent even supposed to have gasoline

Ya I did the magnet trick thats all good. But thats what I was worried about whether it would be powerful enough. It looks like your model is only a 1300 watt unit and I know they make 110 models up to 1800 watts. Wonder if that would do it?

I think with an insulated pot the 1800 watt burners can handle like 5.5-6 gallons starting boil so you can do a 5 gallon batch or so

Ya I found the burton 6530 a 3000 watt burner on amazon for around 230

I use induction cookers for part of my brewing. I use one to heat the water in my HLT and another to direct fire my mash tun. My units are ~1400 Watt units and DO NOT have the power to do a full boil (7 gal. initial volume) - I use propane for the boil. They work GREAT for my purposes

UofMontanaAlum is correct, if you can keep the volume you need to boil at 3 gal. or less, the cooker will work great. Maybe you could push it to 4 gal.

You can still do partial boils with all grain. Just make the wort with a higher SG and dilute it in the fermenter.

How long does it take for you to heat your strike water with the induction cooker? I am considering using one to heat 3-4 gallons.

I have an induction hobb, four heating positions, on a 13amp fuse, either one position gets all the watts and is at full power, or all the positions get the power but not all of the time ! I often prepare my water on it in 3 x4L pots, they get hot ok, it's not dynamic, my worry is that the glass unit won't take the weight of a 5 gals in one position and that it's likely to over heat or just bust !

I think you should have you brew days at a friends or family.

Back