Inducing flocculation by post-fermentation addition of calcium

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

umoyk

Reaction score
Has anyone tried this?
One would usually add the salts during the mash or even during the boil, but I haven't been able to find information about adding them post-fermentation. Of course, one wouldn't get the benefits regarding mash pH, but what about the effect calcium ions have on yeast flocculation?
Say one already brewed with really soft water and now the yeast is not flocculating even after stabilizing in final gravity. Would adding calcium carbonate, calcium sulphate or calcium chloride at this point help the yeast to flocculate?

My concern would be the ability of the additions to dissolve and cause unwanted flavor to the finished beer.

If the beer is done you can cold crash or use gelatin to clear it

Never tried it myself (I always put salts in the mash and sparge water), but if you were to do it I would suggest dissolving the salts into a small quantity of water (say 4-8oz, assuming you're not using chalk), and boil it for a few minutes to sterilize, then I'd dump it while it's still hot straight into the fermenter. Don't have to worry about the heat since it's such a small thermal mass so the net change to the fermenter will be almost nothing.

Back