Indianapolis Tap Water help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Foosier

Reaction score
So stop me if you have heard this before.... I have been studying water and trying to understand what I need to do to make my brews better... I have been using tap water (non-softened) here in Indianapolis and have made good beers but not great beers. Figured that maybe spending time understanding my water would be a good next step. Back in 2011 a number of Indianapolis water reports were posted, this one is relatively close to where I am.

Broadripple, IN H2O

Total Dissolved Solids (TDS) Est 349
Electrical Conductivity, mmho/cm 0.58
Cations / Anions, me/L 5.6 / 5.7

ppm
Sodium, Na 25
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 59
Magnesium, Mg 18
Total Hardness, CaCO3 223
Nitrate, NO3-N 0.9 (SAFE)
Sulfate, SO4-S 16
Chloride, Cl 50
Carbonate, CO3 < 1
Bicarbonate, HCO3 197
Total Alkalinity, CaCO3 161

So here are my questions...
  1. Since this data is a bit old, I am not sure it is reliable or not. However, besides seasonal variations, it is not like the water source has changed. So maybe these numbers could still be counted on as rough approximations. Unless someone has a newer report?
  2. Is this water ok to brew with? From my readings here it seems like the mineral content is fine, but that the alkalinity is high. As a result, it seems I need to use acid to reduce the alkalinity per some posts I have seen from Martin. (I know I can buy RO water, but want to avoid that expense if I can.)
  3. Does Indianapolis water contain Cloramine? I could not tell from the city water quality report and have not hada bunch of luck when calling them to find out.

Any help which could be provided would be appreciated.

The age of the data does not matter much. The variability from the sources is more important. But it doesn't look like the variability is huge. Its hard and alkaline water. It is a decent water to brew many styles with, as long as the alkalinity is neutralized. Yes, the water supply is chloraminated excepting for a month in the spring when they switch to chlorine to improve the microbe kill and further sanitize the pipelines.

Some more reports are below.

West Side Indianapolis H20
Sodium, Na 32
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 66
Magnesium, Mg 17
Sulfate, SO4-S 20
Chloride, Cl 57
Bicarbonate, HCO3 211

East of Indianapolis H2O
Sodium, Na 33
Potassium, K 4
Calcium, Ca 58
Magnesium, Mg 17
Sulfate, SO4-S 21
Chloride, Cl 55
Bicarbonate, HCO3 187

West Side of Indianapolis H2O#2
Sodium, Na 32
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 67
Magnesium, Mg 17
Sulfate, SO4-S 20
Chloride, Cl 57
Bicarbonate, HCO3 211

Southeast side of Indianapolis
Sodium, Na 34
Potassium, K 3
Calcium, Ca 70
Magnesium, Mg 18
Sulfate, SO4-S 20
Chloride, Cl 59
Bicarbonate, HCO3 224

Where are you in Broad Ripple? I've here there are two sources for water around here (I'm near 56th & College) White River pumping station and White River North in addition to the reservoirs. Martin, can you shed more light on this? Water report from January 2013 (not 2012 as it says)

water.png

Honestly, I am between Castleton and BRipple around 71st and Allisonville. But I thought I saw a service map which indicated my area had the same source. The current water quality report put out by Citizen's on their website shows most of Indianapolis under the same report which should mean the values are going to be pretty similar regardless of where you are with the exception of seasonal variations. The data Martin posted earlier seems to bear that out as the values are all roughly similar.

I do think the report you posted shows a PH which is too high. I believe our water is normally around 7.5 ph to start with. I have observed this many times when filling my hot tub.

I'd be interested in any other thoughts Martin had though.

When I switched to AG, the first 3 beers I made tasted strange. Couldn't figure out what it was. I live in Zionsville, and we get our water from Eagle Creek. I eventually got a water report, and tinkered with using salts to create the right brewing profile. No good. Finally, a guy who lives local in the area turned me on to using the "primer", here on HBT. Amazing beer from there on out. Yeah, it costs me a little extra money to use distilled, but the simplicity of starting with a blank slate and using Brun Water to get what I want works every time. I know this doesn't necessarily help you out right now, but its something to fall back on if you become frustrated.

Latest posts

Back