Indian Hills IPA

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

splakeshaker

Reaction score
I've been out of brewing for the last 12 years and recently started back up. Diving into my first AG recipe and would like to ask for some insight or advice. I've run this through beersmith and like the calculations for as well as I understand it. I'm after a balanced, fruit forward IPA with a slight Oak finish. As for the hop schedule, I'm contemplating mixing the El Dorado, belma, mosaic, and Amarillo together and continuously adding to the boil from 30min to flameout. Instead of adding in increments. Thanks

Type: All Grain Date: 3/24/2013
Batch Size (fermenter): 6.000000 gal Brewer: Craig
Boil Size: 7.830000 gal Asst Brewer:
Boil Time: 90 min Equipment: Pot and Cooler ( 5 Gal/19 L) - All Grain
End of Boil Volume 7.020000 gal Brewhouse Efficiency: 72.00 %
Final Bottling Volume: 5.600000 gal Est Mash Efficiency 81.0 %
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Taste Rating(out of 50): 30.0
Taste Notes:
Ingredients

Ingredients
Amt Name Type # %/IBU
2.00 tsp Gypsum (Calcium Sulfate) (Mash 60.0 mins) Water Agent 1 -
10 lbs Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM) Grain 2 65.4 %
3 lbs 8.0 oz Munich Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM) Grain 3 22.9 %
1 lbs Caramel/Crystal Malt - 60L (60.0 SRM) Grain 4 6.5 %
8 oz Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM) Grain 5 5.2 %
1.00 oz Chinook [13.00 %] - Boil 90.0 min Hop 6 36.9 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Boil 30.0 min Hop 7 12.3 IBUs
0.50 oz Mosiac [12.50 %] - Boil 20.0 min Hop 8 10.0 IBUs
2.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 mins) Fining 9 -
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Boil 10.0 min Hop 10 4.1 IBUs
0.50 oz El Dorado [12.50 %] - Boil 5.0 min Hop 11 3.3 IBUs
1.0 pkg American Ale II (Wyeast Labs #1272) [124.21 ml] Yeast 12 -
3.00 oz Oak Chips (Secondary 7.0 days) Flavor 13 -
0.50 oz Mosiac [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 14 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Amarillo Gold [8.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 15 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz Belma [12.10 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 16 0.0 IBUs
0.50 oz El Dorado [12.50 %] - Dry Hop 7.0 Days Hop 17 0.0 IBUs

Beer Profile

Est Original Gravity: 1.065 SG Measured Original Gravity: 1.046 SG
Est Final Gravity: 1.015 SG Measured Final Gravity: 1.010 SG
Estimated Alcohol by Vol: 6.6 % Actual Alcohol by Vol: 4.7 %
Bitterness: 66.6 IBUs Calories: 151.6 kcal/12oz
Est Color: 12.6 SRM
Mash Profile

Mash Name: Single Infusion, Medium Body Total Grain Weight: 15 lbs 4.8 oz
Sparge Water: 2.457250 gal Grain Temperature: 72.0 F
Sparge Temperature: 168.0 F Tun Temperature: 72.0 F
Adjust Temp for Equipment: FALSE Mash PH: 5.20

Mash Steps
Name Description Step Temperature Step Time
Mash In Add 19.13 qt of water at 163.7 F 152.0 F 60 min
Mash Out Add 10.71 qt of water at 200.7 F 168.0 F 10 min

Sparge Step: Fly sparge with 2.457250 gal water at 168.0 F
Mash Notes: Simple single infusion mash for use with most modern well modified grains (about 95% of the time).
Carbonation and Storage

Carbonation Type: Bottle Volumes of CO2: 2.3
Pressure/Weight: 4.40 oz Carbonation Used: Bottle with 4.40 oz Corn Sugar
Keg/Bottling Temperature: 70.0 F Age for: 30.00 days
Fermentation: Ale, Two Stage Storage Temperature: 65.0 F

All of those hops (aside from Chinook) are very fruity. These fruity flavors will not work well with oak aging along with use of an estery yeast like 1272 fermented at 65F. You will have little to no pine, citrus, earthy, floral, or dank flavors. If you're okay with a one note hop focus, I recommend adding more chinook to bitter, but shifting the bittering focus to 60 minutes (keeping the 90 minute boil -- no hops for 30 minutes). This will give you a good hot break and eliminate the chance of harsh polyphenols in the final beer.

Use the Chinook for 85% of your IBUs, then add a substantial flameout addition and nothing else during 30-5 minutes. The piney harsh Chinook will help to balance the fruitiness of the hops wihile not giving you something uber bitter at the same time... since it is not being boiled for a full 90 minutes or added before the hot break.

I would shoot for 80 or so final IBUs. Follow this up with a big, long whirlpool steep when the wort is 170 F or below. Wait 2-3 weeks and dryhop to death in 2-3 stages for 3-5 days each stage. Dryhop with an absolute bare minimum of 3 oz. per 6 gallon batch. -- 9-11 oz. total recipe hops.

DEFINITELY mash lower. Cut the Munich to 5-7% (23% is ridiculous) and cut the Crystal 60 to 3%. You don't need any flaked barley for an IPA. I would use some wheat malt instead for head. Perfect your yeast processes and make a starter. This is key for a 1.065 OG IPA!!

Good Luck!

So these are the changes I've made.

13# 2 row
1 # Munich Malt 20L
12oz Flaked wheat
8oz Crystal 60L
3oz Amber Malt

2oz Chinook (60min)
.5oz Amarillo (5min)
.5oz Belma (5min)
.5oz El Dorado (5min)
.5oz Mosaic (5min)

Yeast Safale US-05 (1 liter starter)

Dry Hop for 5 days with:
.5oz amarillo
.5oz belma
.5oz Eldorado
.5oz Mosiac

Mash at 150F for 60min

Does that look better? Are my hop choices to one directional? I'm aiming for a fruit forward balanced beer with an OG of 1.065. Thanks for the help EyePeeA.

That's good. I would advise using wheat malt instead of flaked wheat. The low amount of Amber malt is a bit unneeded. I would add an ounce to the dryhop and boost it to 7 days total. Increase the late boil additions by 2 more oz., preferably at 0 min.

You make starters with liquid yeast, not dry yeast. The equivalent of US-05 would be Wyeast 1056 or White Labs WLP001. But you could use mrmalty.com to gauge how much dry yeast is required if you go that route. However, you would only need to rehydrate it.

Lastly, balance is a horrible word to describe AIPAs. This style is unbalanced, hoppy, and bitter on purpose. They are all about the hops.

Thanks bobbrews..I have much to learn and understand. I put the amber in there just for a touch of color. These IPAs can break the bank with the hop bill! I'm excited to get this going though. Again, thanks.

13# 2 row
1 # Munich Malt 20L
12oz wheat malt
8oz Crystal 60L
3oz Amber Malt

2oz Chinook (60min)
1oz Amarillo (5min)
1oz Belma (5min)
1oz El Dorado (0min)
1oz Mosaic (0min)

wyeast 1056

Dry Hop for 7 days with:
.5oz amarillo
.5oz belma
1oz Eldorado
1oz Mosiac

Mash at 150F for 60min

Quick question to all of you: why don't you up the lovibond of the crystal and eliminate the Amber Malt you've added for color?

Splakeshaker, looks better now. The only other change I would advise is to use Munich 10L for easier drinkability. Some may say 2 oz. Chinook at 60 will be too much and to use 1/2-1 oz. of it later in the boil. But if the recipe brings you to your desired IBUs as is, then go for it. Just wait until you have a full rolling boil before you add the Chinook. This will eliminate the harsh polyphenols in the hot break like EyePeeA said. Are you still oak aging this, or drinking it as is?

vera, C60 is quite dark for an AIPA... the darkest I would ever reasonably go really in reasonable amounts. Beyond this lovibond, things get really dark, toasty, pruney, and rich. This obstructs the bright hop focus and clean, dry, crisp background of the overall IPA.

There is no harm in using say 2 oz. of C120 for a color adjustment, but some homebrewers who buy ingredients online, don't want to bother with buying such small quantities. For AIPAs, I usually stick with C10-40, and sometimes I skip Crystal malt altogether anywhere from 0-6% total grist. It is really up to you though to decide what you enjoy the taste of.

At this point with my homebrewing expertise, I'm going to heed the advice I've been given and leave out the oak. Thanks again Bobbrews and EyePeeA for taking the time to educate me and point me in the right direction. I'll be brewing this in a couple weeks. I'll report back then. In the meantime I'll be studying up on more of the science and ingredients. I have to learn the beersmith program also. It's amazing how much more information is out there now than years ago when I was homebrewing..Back then I had Charlie's book, Northern Brewer in St. Paul and a subscription to BYO. That's it..HBT is a Godsend for instant information..It'll certainly help me be a better brewer and create the beers I set out to make. I'm glad I'm getting back into it.
Thanks again guys.

Well. I kept the grain bill to the recipe but had to change the hops around due to availability. 1.5oz chinook for 60 min 2oz mosaic for 5min. 1oz falconer flight 7 c's for 5 min. 1oz centennial for 5min .5 oz chinook 7 day dry hop. .5oz centennial 7 day dry hop. 1oz mosaic 7 day dry hop 1 oz falconers flight 7 c's 7 day dry hop. The wort smelled and tasted great. My OG was 1.062. Pretty close to my target. It's been bubbling for a week now. Ill transfer to secondary in 2 weeks and dry hop for one. I used Wyeast American ale. I hope the hop combination works well together. Should be interesting to say the least. I suppose it won't be quite as friuty as I initially set it out to be but that can be another beer for another day.

Latest posts

Back