India Brown Ale noob mistake. :(

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

trigger_andy

Reaction score
Hey all,
I was in the middle of the boil of an Indian Brown Ale (Norwegian recipe) and I had a household emergency (Plumbing leak in the new Bathroom) that took me away from the Boil for a while. To cut a long story short after the 90 minutes I instructed my wife to turn the water on for the cooler coil, the wort is now down to pitching temp and I suddenly realized I had not added the hops for the last 15 minutes and 5 minutes. In a panic I just dumped them in. Now Im worried I made a mistake and if there is a way to resque the brew and if I should do anything now or not?

Any help would be much appreciated.

Andy

It might turn out more like a brown IPA, but it's unlikely that you had enough hops set out for a brown ale to make it really hoppy. Don't worry, it'll be fine. The bigger question might be do you need to add water to make up for an extended boil - 90min instead of 60min could give you less than a 5gal batch and a higher OG.

Hey,
thanks for the reply. :)

It was a 90 min boil. After 60 minutes I added the 24 g Chinook, pellets, 13 % aa, FWH4 but I missed the 65 g Cascade, pellets, 7,7 % aa, 15 min.65 g Cascade, pellets, 7,7 % aa, 2 min Hops. :( They are in now though for better or worse.

For dry hopping I have;30 g Chinook, pellets.

Hopefully it will all be ok.

Your late addition hops weren't going to add a lot of bitterness - just mainly aroma. You've basically created an extended dry hop, which may not be all that bad. Fermentation will probably push out most of the aroma and flavor but some will remain. Your planned dry hop will also help. You've probably only lost a few IBUs and possibly picked up some additional aroma. It should still be pretty tasty.

Thank you very much. :) Thats news I love to hear. :mug:

Thanks again to both of you, will sleep better now.

Back