Increasing fermentation temps

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

haighter

Reaction score
Hey all. So I posted on here about 5 days ago saying my fermentation temperatures were on the lower end of the ale spectrum (hovering around 60-62 deg F). My house just gets naturally cold and it was kinda icky around these parts beginning of the primary ferment period.
Well, the weather has heated up, as has my house. Over these last five days, the primary ferm temp has rise steadily to about 68-69deg F. Really a question of curiosity as I'm sure this is going to be a great batch, does this natural increase in temperature in any way affect the beer? It shouldn't get too hot, though the temp could rise and cap at about 72.

You'll be fine. When I'm brewing, I'd rather them temp slowly rise than suddenly drop. If you start out at 72 and drop it to 62, you risk confusing your yeast. They may think the job is done and settle out too early.

Essentially what you've been given is a diacetyl rest. It should clear up any off-flavors from the yeast if there were any. This isn't really a huge deal with ales, but it doesn't hurt.

Latest posts

Back