Increasing carbonation in keg --> increasing line length?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

tmm786

Reaction score
Currently, my beer pours well most of the time. Proper head, decent carbonation, not too foamy. However, I feel my beer is typically little under-carbed to my liking. If I raise the regulator a couple PSI to get a little more carbonation, will I need to immediately replace and increase my serving line length to keep the "more carbonated" beer from pouring too foamy?

I keep the regulator around 13PSI with 10 ft of serving line, and the kegerator is around 38 degrees.

Per our favorite carbonation table the combination of 13 psi and 38°F will eventually reach equilibrium at ~2.7 volumes of CO2. That's a couple tenths on the high side for most generic ales already...but personal preference counts more than convention.

Referencing the only beer line length calculator worth using 13 psi using 3/16" id solid pvc beer line with a 10 second pint pour needs 11 feet of line - so you may be on the edge with 10 feet.

Adding another couple of psi would raise the carbonation to ~2.85 volumes and bump the recommended line length to almost 13 feet, and I imagine your pour quality will go down hill at that point...

Cheers!

I used those many years ago when I was uneducated and had 6 foot lines ;)
They do work, pretty well actually, but kinda messy and they will slowly dissolve if left in a standard Star San mix.
I still have at least a half dozen never-used sticks as I went to 12' lines...

Cheers!

Referencing the only beer line length calculator worth using 13 psi using 3/16" id solid pvc beer line with a 10 second pint pour needs 11 feet of line - so you may be on the edge with 10 feet.

Adding another couple of psi would raise the carbonation to ~2.85 volumes and bump the recommended line length to almost 13 feet, and I imagine your pour quality will go down hill at that point...

Cheers!
I went through the same problems dialing in my pours and ended up using 11 feet of 3/16" inside diameter beer line tubing. My methods were far from scientific though. I bought two 14 foot lengths of beer line and kept cutting them back until the pours from both taps were perfect. I keep my kegs at 34F and carbonate and serve beer as 12-13 psi.

Thanks for the feedback. The comments confirm what I was thinking. In the short term I have increased my pressure by 1-2 psi and can tell a difference in the carbonation level. Beers have poured well so far, but I have historically had intermittent foam problems even at my old setting. So, it may be time once I see an issue just to go ahead and change out lines as the problem happens.

You can also change out your taps for flow control. If your pours are too fast/foamy you just turn the knob to increase the back pressure. Not a substitute for proper line length, but suited for variance in tank pressure, and increase in desired carb level.

Back