Increasing alcohol in extract kits

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Andyoesq

Reaction score
Dumb question- I'm getting ready to do a couple of batches of kits of summer beer, in the hopes of good weather eventually coming. Is there a way I can subtly bump up the alcohol content of the beers, with effecting the taste / quality of the beers?
For example, Would adding 1/3 pound of corn sugar to a 5 gallon batch effect the taste of the beer much? Or adding 1/3 pound of Dme? I know neither will move the alcohol needle much. What about doing both?
Also, some of the online supply stores have the option for their extract kits "add on - 1 more piece r alcohol, no taste difference". What is this, just additional DME?

I put at least a half pound of corn sugar in everything. I prefer a high alcohol beer so it works for me.
You plan on making double batches? Try one with extra corn sugar and one with extra DME. Taste them side by side. I don't think they will be radically different. The comparison will help you decide what to brew in the future.

adding corn sugar works well. it's not the best way, but it's easy and makes good beer as long as you don't add to much.

websites claim that there's not taste difference is a lie. adding sugar tends to water down the body of the beer.

I would recommend adding extra malt rather than sugar but it either will work.
Depending on the price of your extract kit you could just add two cans and no sugar...

Most alcohol boosters are a mix of Maltodextrin and corn sugar. Keeps some body and increases alcohol.

Adding just sugar will dry out the beer, so you will get an impression of less malty-ness. I like drier IPAs.

Adding just extract will make the beer sweeter.

Try adding a mix of both. Half lb of extract and half lb of table sugar (no need to use expensive corn sugar - no difference in taste). This should keep you close to a balance, and add about 1% abv to 5 gallons.

One option is to stop using kits and use extract recipes instead.
A good beer has the right balance of malt backbone, hops flavor, bitterness, mouth-feel, alcohol level and a few other things.
So just changing the alcohol level of a kit may throw the beer out of balance and that can affect the overall impression and drinkability.

I agree. Grab yourself some bags of malt extract and a couple pounds of your favorite specialty grains - some crystal malts of various levels (10, 40, and 80 would be my choices) and Vienna or Munich might be a good place to start.

Creating your own recipes to your own personal taste is the whole reason for doing what we do. While kits are a great way to get the ball rolling, they can only take you so far.

Ive been adding extra DME and it seems to work pretty well without altering the flavor much. But this last time I dumped a bunch of honey in and even though I was a little worried about it making the beer taste dry it actually turned out pretty good and didnt notice a flavor change. But I just randomly put in the honey , not even sure how much I put in.....just a spur of the moment idea. So honey may or may not be a good alternative since results will vary.

Back