Increasing Alcohol Content

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cryptofix

Reaction score
I want my next batch of beer to be a stout. I have not gotten a kit yet but I am sure the alcohol content will not be as high as I want. I want mine to be around 8% or more. What should I add more of to increase the alcohol content? More sugar or more yeast and sugar? How much and what type should I use of these ingredients? Thanks in advance for your help.

If this is a extract kit the easy answere is more extract. Thisn will increase the amount of alsohol in the beer but you should also change the Hops so that the balance of the brew is not changed to much. I would look arround for a stout kit that has a ab close to what you wantsince that would already be ballanced.

Brewers Best Kits has a Russian Imperial Stout that comes in at 7.75% to 8.25% alcohol and you don't have to change anything to get there.

Adding sugar can dry out the beer or even throw the flavor out of balance. An Imperial or Russian Imperal will be what you want.

Back