In the middle of my first 10 gallon batch

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

robtotten

Reaction score
It takes a looooooong time to get 13 gallons up to a boil. I finally wrapped aluminum foil around the burner after it stalled out around 170. Creeping up towards boiling temperatures now, after 90 minutes.

For chilling... I'll be using a 25' IC, and then when the wort has cooled somewhat, I'll fill up the fermenters and cool them the rest of the way in ice baths. After I upgrade the chilling system and get a pump, I'm going to go electric. I have to be up in 7 hours and have at least 2 hours until pitch.

Not sure what to do about the mash tun. I'll probably scoop the grain out into a pot and dump it into the compost. 25 pounds of dry grain + water absorption + keggle is pretty heavy. I had planned on Hulking it and dumping the grain straight into the compost.

Boiled off way too much. Ended up with 7.5 gallons or so. Live and learn. And drink half warm half carbed goodness IPA cut with Busch Light. Do this in remembrance of me.

Lisl Auman is free. Old news, but the good doctor, Hunter S. Thompson, is surely smiling somewhere.

I've been boiling off around 1.5 per hour for 5.5 gal batches. You boiled off 5.5 gallons? Did you lose quite a bit to hop absorption/trub? That sure seems high! I haven't tried my first 10 gallon batch yet, but I'd be interested to see if others have that much loss doing 10.

Congrats on your first 10... err... 7.5 gallon batch.:D

Latest posts

Back