In-Line GFCI + extension cord

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

movet22

Reaction score
Ok, so I will try to keep this quick- I have more or less stopped brewing because the location (basement) I have been assigned by SWMBO is full blown nasty and a pain to keep sanitary. I have designs on the guest bathroom right next to the basement door and am thinking I can turn my 3-vessel all grain electric setup to a eBIAB with minimal effort then use the tub in the guest bathroom to brew (putting everything back in the basement after each brew).

My question is this: I already have an in-line GFCI 240v cable that I use. If I were to add a 25' 240v extension cable to either side of that (so that I could reach from the basement 240v outlet to the bathroom) would I be seriously compromising my safety? Or would the inline kill the current regardless of the addition of the supplemental length via the extension addition.

I just want to reiterate: I would like to use an in-line GFCI AND an extension cord. All 240v.

Thanks guys... It's good to be back.

Yup that'll be fine. Add it after the gfci, that way it will protect the cord if it gets jammed in a doorway or something as well.

Ok, so I will try to keep this quick- I have more or less stopped brewing because the location (basement) I have been assigned by SWMBO is full blown nasty and a pain to keep sanitary.

How "nasty" can the basement be? Clean it up, perhaps get a dehumidifier if it's humid? I would think you could clean it up and brew?

just make sure you are using the correct gauge wire for the current and distance you plan to extend.

Latest posts

Back